Good idea???

I regret not breastfeeding longer. It's my biggest regret in my life. I am making milk now. My son is 9 months old. (I'm pretty sure I'm prego...hence the milk...I'll take a test once I've missed my period.) So...I told my SO that if I could make milk again, I'd pump it and give it to my son. Now, I know I can't make enough for it to be exclusive, and he does eat food, but, I want to supplement with breastmilk. Now, seeing as how I may be pregnant...is this a good idea??? Or will I use up my colostrom and then the new baby won't get it??? And if I'm not prego...should I still pump...because it would be like a "second" chance to do things right.... What do you ladies think???

srenee1988

Asked by srenee1988 at 3:14 PM on Feb. 21, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Before the baby is born your body will produce colostrum and milk. This is not the same colostrum and milk that your newborn will be getting. The milk that is produced during pregnancy, if it goes unused, just get absorbed back into your system. Your body is constantly making new milk. This is why when baby is born there will be plenty for him or her. The stuff baby will get will be fresh, it hasn't just been sitting in your breasts for months and months. Take your prenatals, drink so much water you feel like puking : ) and eat enough. You will do fine.

http://www.babycenter.com/404_is-it-safe-to-continue-breastfeeding-while-pregnant_8935.bc

http://www.whattoexpect.com/pregnancy/ask-heidi/breastfeeding-while-pregnant.aspx
    AnnaMac

Answer by AnnaMac at 3:55 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• I didnt stop producing milk after I stopped breast feeding my daughter( 8 weeks) for like a year after, but considering you are/ might be pregnant again Im not sure its a good idea. Just my opinion of course.
    liltxnchic

Answer by liltxnchic at 3:19 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• your new baby would not have the colostrum.

but do it if you want. your son might not want the breast milk now though after being on formula for so long...
    Anonymous

• This is what happened to me, I got pregnant with my 3rd baby when my 2nd was 3 months old, everything went into reverse so I had to supplement with soy formula, which i hated... Our son was allergic to the protien in the reg formula. So from my experience you won't even produce enough until after your baby is born....
    Anonymous

• Oh...okay...thank you... I guess that makes sense... hmm...okay..I guess I'll just have to quit worrying about it...He's healthy...I'll just make sure I breastfeed longer with the next baby. (Cross your fingers...hopefully the time is now!) :)
    srenee1988

Answer by srenee1988 at 3:29 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• Do it. It will NOT, I repeat NOT take away the colostrum and anyone who tells you otherwise is giving false information and doesn't know what they are talking about. Many, many mothers have continued to breastfeed their older child while pregnant with no negative side effects. Do not underestimate your body. As long as you keep it healthy, take in enough calories, and drink enough your body can handle breastfeeding, pregnancy, and make colostrum for when your baby arives. Go to the La Leche League website for information and help. It would be a great idea to give your son breastmilk again and he will accept it. Babies and toddlers are offered new food all the time and accept it regardless of how long they have been on formula. Drinking formula will not stop him from drinking other liquids. Good luck.
    AnnaMac

Answer by AnnaMac at 3:32 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• To AnnaMac... I'd heard of a lot of moms bfing while prego...but I was just worried about the Colostrum... I figure he'll try something "new".. he's used to new things... but I really was just worried about the colostrum. I don't think I'll ever make enough to feed him, but I would like to get at least a bottle a day in there..just for the extra help, you know?
    srenee1988

Answer by srenee1988 at 3:38 PM on Feb. 21, 2009