OMG!! What do you think about this? A murder trial?!?!?!

I just heard this on the news and was so SHOCKED!!! I can't remember what state it was though. A lady had put her 3 month old baby in the car seat in the front seat and was in a car accident. The air bag was deployed and crushed the baby's skull. The baby died 10 months later. Now, she is on trial for vehicular man slaughter. A murder trial for making a bad decision!! She had her other two kids in the back seat and she said she was carrying the baby in the front seat to keep an eye her because she was born early and had breathing problems. OMG!! I have mixed emotions about this, but what do you think?

angeladh82

Asked by angeladh82 at 3:37 PM on Feb. 21, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I think the law is the law. No one is above it. While I feel horrible for this woman, just think of the ten months that her infant suffered through before dying. That is horrible. There are warnings of not putting an infant car seat in front of an airbag in your car, on the carseat, in the carseat manual, leaving the hospital with a baby they have to check your carseat to make sure it is in the right postion, etc, etc. The point is this woman knew what she was doing was against the law. She knew she was endangering her baby and the worse case scenario happened. As horrible as it is she should face some sort of charges. To me it seems neglect would better fit, but manslaughter is probably what should technically be charged.
    AnnaMac

Answer by AnnaMac at 3:44 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• she knew better... I really don't feel that it is wrong to try her for that. If she could not turn the air bag off or just didn't that child had no right to be in the front seat.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 3:39 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• all carseat instruction manuals as well as vehicle instruction manuals and even most sun visors say "DO NOT PUT A CHILD IN THE FRONT SEAT DUE TO AIR BAGS". those things are put ther for a reason. that wasnt a bad decision that was deliberately endangering the life of her child.
    Anonymous

• BY LAW, you cannot have an infant seat in the front unless you disable the air bag first. I mean, the warning are all over the place, from the window visors to the carseat itself. Yes she was STUPID, she paid the price for that with the loss of her baby.
    Do I think she should go to jail? No. she has to live with her moment of stupidity for the rest of her life.
    I bet she gets probation and has to go to parenting classes/driving school.
    Anonymous

• I agree. That child should not have been in the front seat of the car. Everyone knows that babies and air bags do not mix. All manuals say not to put a baby in the front seat, espcially with airbags. that was more than a poor decision.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 3:41 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• They say NO CARSEATS UPFRONT for a reason. I hope they charge her.
    Anonymous

• Murder and vehicular manslaughter are two very diffeent things. The first is for intent, the second was for negligence. She was obviously negligent. Maybe another mother will see this and realize how stupid it is to do the same thing.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:45 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• Maybe another mother will see this and realize how stupid it is to do the same thing.

We can only hope...  However you can goto the dealership and have the airbags turned off.  I wonder why she didn't do that. 

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 3:58 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• slapping foreheadIts her FAULT!!! they should charge her with MURDER!!

Anonymous

• The only way you can have a child in the front seat like that is if you have no air bags. I don't think she had a bad intention and I'm sure she feels awful as it is, but it is what it is.
    Anonymous