What would you bring to a FUNERAL?

I thought to bring rum!

Caramel824

Asked by Caramel824 at 3:39 PM on Feb. 21, 2009 in Food & Drink

• is it a potluck funeral? I'm confused...
    I think the customary gift is flowers...

Anonymous

• Are you talking about someones home or to the actual funeral. If its the home and people stopping by, I would make like ham biscuits, macaroni salad or something. Bring something to drink , maybe. IThe actual funeral, just yourself unless you send flowers
    Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 3:46 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• there are lots of thing you can bring: tray of meats-turkey and ham, with some buns and condiments, hot dish of any kind, cookies, brownies, etc. jello salads, veggie salads.
    doright

Answer by doright at 4:12 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• Growing up as a Morticians dd I learned quite a bit about grieving families. Food is good but they can be overwhelmed by the amt ~ storage and clean up. My dad said people try to fill the empty feeling with food ~ What they need is help afterwards. Help to clean up after guests have gone, cleaning out and reorganizing closets ect. On the funeral day people may need someone to watch / entertain little kids. ( My sister always volunteers to do child care and it does lift that burden from grieving attendees) Pick up and clean up, they may need help before guests arrive at their home. ~ Best is to ask "What do you need me to do" not "What can I bring"
    nookers

Answer by nookers at 4:32 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• Food? No,I don't think so.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 4:38 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• We always have platters of cold cuts, cheese, veggies/dip and drinks.

Answer by admckenzie at 4:38 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• I'm from the south, when someone dies, we always take food to the family. My Dad passed away last July, and we got everything from chicken spaghetti to chocolate cake to frozen pizza's. My mother always told me, when someone dies the family doesn't have time to cook, so friends and relatives bring what they can.

Anonymous

• Id just take myself and offer any help needed for after the fact.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 5:55 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• Growing up I was taught to take something to the grieving family. When my Great Grandmother passed away... We had enough food to last a month. It was amazing.
    Catrin2009

Answer by Catrin2009 at 6:44 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• Something people don't always think about is that if there was an obituary notice in the newspaper, there needs to be someone (preferably several people) who can stay at the house of the deceased during the funeral so that thieves don't come in and load up and carry away everything during the funeral. It happens more often than you would think. There are some sick people out there who prey upon the bereaved. If people are coming back to the house afterwards, they walk into a bare house. People in the house during the funeral prevents this. If you were not close to the deceased, you could offer to do this for the family. Sometimes there is a committee of church ladies who perform this service. They also set up tables and lay out the food and so forth.
    Anonymous