What do you give your child for constipation?

My son is sooo constipated that he has been throwing up anything he tries to eat or drink. I took him to the hospital after he had been throwing up for three days ( i no longer believed it was just the flu) and they took x-rays and said he was pretty much too backed up to take anything else in. They prescribed a stool softener but he has taken in for two days now and stil no poopy.... he is four years old.

dustinsmom0113

Asked by dustinsmom0113 at 3:42 PM on Feb. 21, 2009 in Kids' Health

• A couple of glasses of prune juice should do the trick.
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 3:43 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• enema... go to the doc for it though, so they do it right. or glycerin suppositories...also get those from the doctor.

If nothing is going in from the top, you've gotta do something from the other end...
    Anonymous

• Do NOT give a suppository or enema!
    The docs gave my friends 3 year old one once for constipation and it caused a whole deal of problems! DONT do it!!
    Anonymous

• The doctor told me specifically NOT to give him an enema. And I tried the prune juice and he has been on a special fruit and veggie diet.
    dustinsmom0113

Answer by dustinsmom0113 at 3:50 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• My daughter has chronic constipation and is perscribed glycolax, it woks wonders on her. She has been having constipation problems since the day I brought her home from the hospital and she is now 3 years old. I would just keep doing with your doing with the prune juice and diet. But if it continues to be a problem you may have to see a G.I doctor for it! Good Luck
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 3:56 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• Prunes, prune juice, celery, corn, popcorn, apples...all that stuff has fiber in it.

Besides that, for now, just give the medicine as prescribed by your doctor. If he doesn't have a BM in the next two days, I'd take him back.
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 6:54 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• I have had these issues w/ my 4 1/2 yr. old as well. Our dr. recommended 1/4 tsp. of Miralax. We also give him those gummy chewables to relieve const. Benefiber in his drink almost everyday. Umm...we've done the glycerin sup. before but consistancy is the key in our situation. We do a little of something every few days to keep him going. Otherwise he gets backed up BAD.
    liltymesmom

Answer by liltymesmom at 10:00 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• He got a prescription for a stool softener called Colace, going on three days now, and still nothing. He did pass some "pebble" sized stool but not a whole lot and i dont think it helped. I got some suggestions from the pharmacist, Im going to try this drink called Fletchers, its a childrens laxative, and she said it works wonders and tastes like root beer. lol. hopefully it works.
    dustinsmom0113

Answer by dustinsmom0113 at 10:20 AM on Feb. 22, 2009

• prune juice and childrens glycerine suppositories, should do the trick- make sure your child doesnt push the suppository right back out, it needs to dissove in his butt.
    j-hunt

Answer by j-hunt at 8:32 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• PEAR JUICE ! anything pears
    Momma4Liberty

Answer by Momma4Liberty at 7:26 PM on Feb. 23, 2009