How to get rid of thumsucking habbit in 2 year old?

My two year son sucks his thumb all the time. How can I get rid of his this habbit? I goggled the ways but i dont thing that rewarding him would help because he is too young to understand that i would give him reward if he does not put his thumb in his mouth. Also I am more concerned about night time thumb sucking. Earlier he used to suck his thumb just before bed but now whenever i woke up in middle of night I see his thumb in his mouth only and if i try to take it out he gets disturbed , starts crying and again to soothe himself he again puts his thumb in his mouth. Are there any ointments which could help? If yes are they available over - the counter or do I need prescription.

newmommy121211

Asked by newmommy121211 at 10:00 AM on Jun. 9, 2014 in Toddlers (1-2)

• There are bitter solutions available over the counter.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:09 AM on Jun. 9, 2014

• Discuss this with your pediatrician and dentist. I know twins who sucked their thumbs until they were 3.5 and had no ill consequences. They both have beautifu teeth today....didn't need braces or anything. I know this is not the case for everyone but run this by those professionals and get their input before trying to change this. GL
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 10:42 AM on Jun. 9, 2014

• Why would you want to stop it? Two of mine were finger suckers until they were 4 and the dentist said there were no problems. During the day you can remind him to keep his thumb out of his mouth, tell him it's only for bed/naptime, and keep his hands busy but he's using it to self soothe at night and until he finds another way to do that there's not a whole lot you can do.

Answer by missanc at 3:09 PM on Jun. 9, 2014

• I wouldn't stop it. A thumb sucker is a happy kid. They can self soothe whenever they need to. Enjoy it.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 6:25 PM on Jun. 9, 2014

• I asked my child's pediatrician and I was told it's not really a concern until they have permanent teeth.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 3:33 PM on Jun. 11, 2014