Hand sanitizer on a pacifier???

I saw a lady today pick up her son's pacifier from the floor and put hand sanitizer on it and then put it back in her baby's mouth!! He of course spit it out and started gaging from the taste. This has got to be wrong. Do you know if the chemicals can in hand sanitizer are bad to ingest (small amounts obviously)?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:22 PM on Feb. 21, 2009 in Health

• I had heard that it can actually cause infant alcohol poisoning. Hand sanitizer contains alcohol, which if ingested can cause alcohol related deaths. There were even instances in young children (5 and up) that they would lick the hand sanitizer after it was put on their hands and have been killed. That parent should have never done that. IMHO
    NewMommyin06

Answer by NewMommyin06 at 4:31 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• Yes as far as I know there have been cases of children getting sick from ingesting sanitizer. I did not take the time to confirm this, but it's obvious to me you would not want a kid to put it in their mouth. I would not want it in my mouth !!!

I think alcohol based sanitizer is great if during sick season for a trip the museum, kids place etc...but no I would never put in on a paci.

Even being a germ nut...no..LOL.

An obvious easy solution would be to bring two paci's so when one drops you give the baby the fresh one, until you can wash the other one off. Also if you can find a safe paci holder then that is another great choice.

You would figure the mom would get the hint when the baby spit it out !!!
    J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 4:33 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• I just got an email today it said three squirts of sanitizer can be fatal to a toddler. I will repost what I got.
    MBsMom2004

Answer by MBsMom2004 at 4:34 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• ew ew ew!! I would NEVER do that!! I'd just take the paci away, and hope I had another on hand. I've used hand sanatizer after getting in the car and ate some food (like mcdonalds on a road trip or whatever) and have tasted that sanatizer on my fingers. >_< I can't imagine thinking it would be fine for an infant to ingest that!
    mrseum

Answer by mrseum at 5:07 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• what is wrong with people today? a little dirt on a pacifer wont' kill anyone. sheesh.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 6:24 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• No offense, but that is the stupidest thing I have ever heard someone do.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:06 AM on Nov. 16, 2009