If you invite someone for dinner you will have everything?

Correct? Wrong!!!
My SIL invited us for dinner on Sunday well it turns out she is texting my MIL that dinner will be ready @3:00 my mil text back asking if she needed her to bring anything she says yea some french bread, salad, sodas and a dessert. My mil text back and says do you want me to bring dinner too?
I can not believe this conversation (the reason I know about this text is bc some how when I text my sil&mil as a group now I am recieving their conversation)
Anyway, I personally thought that was rude of my SIL and my dh and I ended up getting the stuff. No biggie it's just the way it happened with my SIL. She is always inconveniencing everyone to make it easyforherself.
Vent over....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:10 PM on Jun. 10, 2014 in Relationships

• mil text back asking if she needed her to bring anything

She shouldn't have offered if it was going to be a problem.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 6:18 PM on Jun. 10, 2014

• Sorry but your mother in law asked and she responded. Try no asking if you can bring something.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 7:01 PM on Jun. 10, 2014

• I think usually when you offer to bring something you exepct to be asked to bring some THING not half of the meal. Bring the bread, or if you don't mind I forgot to pick up soday, but yea, french bread, soda and dessert? I'd agree that's a little much.

It's a shame when someone is trying to be polite that they can be taken advantage of.

Personally if i invite someone for dinner I do have everything, although if my guests offer to bring something I sometimes accept, I would never invite someone and ask them to bring half of the meal like that.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 7:08 PM on Jun. 10, 2014

• Apparently I can't type today, not quite 100%, sorry about all of the typos.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 7:09 PM on Jun. 10, 2014

• I agree with ohwrite. Asking for one simple thing maybe if someone offers, but i assume I will do the entire meal. And many times I don't like what the person brings........like once a guest said they will bring a dessert and they brought a bag of Oreos. Now, I like Oreos, but wasn't expecting that for the dessert. lol
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 7:13 PM on Jun. 10, 2014

• I would personally never ask a guest to bring that much of the meal, but it's the MIL, family, so maybe she felt ok with asking for that much stuff?
    CKel

Answer by CKel at 7:31 PM on Jun. 10, 2014

• That's funny. Ha ha. Maybe they just have that kind of relationship.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:45 PM on Jun. 10, 2014

• I am like this. I invite you to dinner . You do not have to bring anything. Unless you want some beer or something

Answer by louise2 at 8:27 PM on Jun. 10, 2014

• I would never dream of going to eat at someone's house without bringing something - dessert, salad, etc. Maybe she wanted your mom to bring 1-2 things and you to bring 1-2 things. No big deal, I certainly wouldn't have gotten upset over it. She is providing the main part of the meal and opening her home.

Answer by missanc at 11:31 PM on Jun. 10, 2014

• MIL offered, if she did not want to being anything then why offer to? I see nothing wrong with her asking to bring something specially when they offered!

Answer by older at 9:22 AM on Jun. 11, 2014