do u think im being selfish???? -plz no bashing-

so i am 39 weeks
i am due on monday and my doc says we are probley gonna have to induce
i dont want to but if that is wut it comes to i want it done asap
the reason for that is cuz if i set the date far away
then i will stress out about it
i still plan on doing it as natural as i can if i get induced and that means no pain meds
and i understand that she might not be ready to come out
and that it means more of a risk of her staying at the hospital longer
i have looked and read about being induced alot so i know some stuff about it
and my sister was induced to she was in labor at the hospital for 3 days
so my question is do u think im being selfish????

19bubbles91

Asked by 19bubbles91 at 4:36 PM on Feb. 21, 2009 in Pregnancy

• How are you being selfish...I'm really not understanding the question.

If you want to get induced but not have pain meds, that choice is your own. But wanting pain meds doesn't make you selfish, and its rather insulting to think that it does. Not wanting to be in pain doesn't make you selfish....and it doesn't make you a better 'mother' because you labored naturally.

I was under the impression its not really how the baby gets here, but the fact that the baby IS here and is healthy that's the ultimate goal. I'm so sick of moms throwing barbs at each other for different child-birthing methods.
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 4:39 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• I dont see how youre being selfish either but I will give you some advice, when youre induced your labor islonger and more painful. I would look into pain meds of some sort because you may need them, and if you do get induced see if they wont pop your water. Thats alot more natural then pitocin and pitocin causes longer and stronger contrations which means alot more pain. Just thought Id let ya know. I was induced 3 times myself and learned this from my exp.

Answer by gemgem at 4:41 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• *applause* 2 peaches
    JAJA_Steele

Answer by JAJA_Steele at 4:42 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• Why does your doctor think you are going to have to be induced? Normal gestation can go all the way to 42 weeks without being technically overdue.

Personally if you want to do it naturally I would wait it out. The baby will come when she's ready. Besides I hear pitocin makes the contractions much stronger and harder to ride out.

I wouldn't know the difference though, I was induced with my first and it ended in a c-section. Good luck though whatever you decide!
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 4:44 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• question doesnt make since???
    TSSN88

Answer by TSSN88 at 4:45 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• gemgem, I agree with you. I was induced with my first DD and OH MY GOD....I thought I was going to die. I WANTED to die lol, I was in so much pain. Those 12 hours I had to wait for my epi were the longest 12 hours of my LIFE. And I ended up needing a C-section anyways. Pitocin is NOT your friend lol.

I always say 'never say never' especially when it comes to labor. Keep the option open to have meds if you want them. Another thing you might want to consider: Usually the anesthesiologist isn't 'on-duty', so if you're against pain meds and suddenly decide you want them, its usually about a good 1-3 hour wait until they get there. Keep the option open.
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 4:46 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• It totally matters how the baby gets here! A natural labor and birth means less stress on the mom and baby and far less likelyhood of C section. Inductions really increase the likelyhood of ending in a C section. For some crazy reason, a lot of women prefer C sections though. This is the most important right of passage that you will go through; it's amazing and shouldn't be forced into happening. Your baby knows when it's time and although docs are quick (really really quick) to induce a labor, you actually have until 42 weeks until there may be a danger to baby. The other ladies are right, inductions cause stronger, longer and more painful contractions and many women don't do it without pain meds for that reason. It also causes stress on baby because these pains are stronger and longer...even if mom can't feel it do to all the pain drugs. Your best bet is to wait it out and listen to the natural cues your body gives you.
    hgibsonorc

Answer by hgibsonorc at 4:49 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• Many hospitals and docs push the idea of an induction being "needed" - that is rarely (r.a.r.e.l.y) the case.

Induction is not natural, it forces and tricks your body into labor, and brings an un-ready baby into the world sooner than they should be.

It's not selfish for you to want your pregnancy to be over with, but if you want a natural labor - be patient, ignore doctors telling you you need an induction, and wait it out. You will not be any less stressed or get any more sleep once bubba is here, anyway. Heh.
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 4:50 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• If your doctor wants to induce, then that's the way it is. Ask your doctor carefully and look at him and her with concern in your eye so the doctor will tell you exactly why he or she wants to induce. They may well have an excellent reason. Have them explain it to you. If you don't understand. Ask again. Ask straight out if they think it is the best thing for the baby. If it isn't, then from what I understand about you from reading your question, then you probably should say how about if we wait a litlte while longer. But if the doctor feels that waiting would be bad for the baby, then of course there is no need to feel selfish at all. I am confident that you are not being selfish. You seem to have the baby's interests very much at heart. Talk to your doctor about inducing until you feel right about it. Good luck!

Answer by Bmat at 4:53 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• "I was under the impression its not really how the baby gets here"

Birth is a very importnant thing.
    Induction, pain meds etc all mess with the natural birthing process.

How a baby is born does in fact matter, yes.
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 4:53 PM on Feb. 21, 2009