carseat safety while in front seat

A poll inspired this question. We all know riding with baby in the front seat of the car is a no-no. Or at least, not the safest option. My question is, what is a mother to do when her car doesn't HAVE a backseat (i.e. a truck!)? I have to put my DD in the front seat of the truck as it has a short cab and there is no back seat. She is extended rear facing and the air bag is always turned off when she is up front. Please don't say, "just take a cab or the bus to the grocery store," or, "go buy a new car," because those are not options for me. TIA

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:46 PM on Feb. 21, 2009 in General Parenting

• The airbag turned off. That is the only way to make it safer. In reality anywhere in the car is unsafe. You are always at risk of an accident. It is the airbag that makes the frontseat so dangerous because even in just a fender bender the air bag can go off and kill the baby or child in the front seat.
    AnnaMac

Answer by AnnaMac at 5:09 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• The backseat is the safest place for your child...however if you don't HAVE a backseat, you obviously have to put them in the front.

I don't understand the ?....if the air bag is turned off, then what's the problem?
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 4:50 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• You must have them in the backseat as long as there IS one. If there is no backseat, they may be up front. Rear facing with the airbag turned off are the only things you can do.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 4:52 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• My husband has a 2 seater sports car and takes my daughter in it. He just turns off the air bag and promises to drive extra slow :)
    hgibsonorc

Answer by hgibsonorc at 4:53 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• We had a pickup when our oldest was born. It was an extended cab but there is no where in the back for a carseat so she rode up front from day one and I rode in the jumpseat behind the driver (I just barely fit). We didn't have air bags and we pushed the seat all the way back. You do what you have to do.
    We have a pick-up again except this one is a 4 door super crew and seats 6. But we have 4 kids. the 3 girls ride in back, 2 in boosters and the 2yo in her her toddler seat in the middle. My son is 7 and the biggest of the 4 kids so he rides up front. We do have airbags and they don't turn off (that wasn't an option on this model) so we have the seat pushed back as far as it will go. Only he is allowed up front because he is biggest. If one of the girls isn't in the car he rides in their empty booster seat.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 5:01 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• You're doing exactly what is recommended. I'm not sure why there's a question either...
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:11 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• you are doing just what you should and everything you can. the airbag is the problem not the front seat.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 6:19 PM on Feb. 21, 2009