Mother of 7 in jail because her kids skipped school dies in cell

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/answer-sheet/wp/2014/06/13/mother-of-7-in-jail-because-her-kids-skipped-school-dies-in-cell/

She was sentenced to 2 days in jail because she couldn't afford to pay $2000 in fines, which included things like interest on postage and computer charges.  Now she's dead, her kids don't have a mother, and the state still doesn't have its damn money.  How did this help?  Should jail be allowed for things like this?  If someone has to miss work, potentially be fired for doing so, how are they going to pay back what they owe?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 12:31 PM on Jun. 14, 2014 in Politics & Current Events

• It's a tragic story. Now her children are with are without a mother and none of her fines will ever be paid. No one wins here.
    iamanon

Answer by iamanon at 12:39 PM on Jun. 14, 2014

• So, I have been reading about this and I wonder-
    Is this mandatory sentencing?
    I understand it straightens out the crap parents, the partiers but no one has written that she was that type of parent.

She needed help, it seems, not jail.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 12:44 PM on Jun. 14, 2014

• This should not be happening, they need to update their ridiculous laws....

Answer by older at 12:46 PM on Jun. 14, 2014

• Is this mandatory sentencing?

From the judge's statement after her death, it seems it is, and that even the judge disagrees, but had to enforce it.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 2:12 PM on Jun. 14, 2014

• Those poor kids :(...hopefully they have some family and wont end up in foster care :/....those laws are absolutely ridiculous! But cause of death hasnt been determined yet so it makes me wonder if her death would have happened jailed or not
    rachel216

Answer by rachel216 at 2:38 PM on Jun. 14, 2014

• I think what bothers me the most is that this was ongoing for 15 years. She had already had 10 years worth of fines wiped and still accumulated 5 more years worth. Why weren't her kids going to school? Being truant isn't usually something that happens with one or two absences, it takes a lot more than that. So, while I have issues with the fact that she was essentially sent to jail for not being able to pay her debts, I have issues with her getting away with not making her kids go to school as well.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 3:03 PM on Jun. 14, 2014

• While it's sad, according to that link, the cause of her death hasn't been determined yet. So I can't get super upset and blame the system for this, because it's possible she would have died even out of jail and all this would still be true, she just wouldn't have been in a jail cell when she died.

I admit, it is sad, and if the jail had anything to do with her death, they should definitely be held responsible, but I haven't seen yet that this was their fault. I also have to wonder why this was their solution to 15 years of her failing to make sure her kids went to school. Surely they could have taken other steps long before this point to try to resolve this?
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 4:19 PM on Jun. 14, 2014

• City, county, states getting really mean and stupid about money and will do anything to get it. Does not matter who you are or how much money you have or not. Just be careful. So sad
    NB14

Answer by NB14 at 5:57 PM on Jun. 14, 2014

• You can't really blame the system. Them wanting to collect money from her didn't kill her. She could've just as easily died at home.
    Momma_2_boys

Answer by Momma_2_boys at 11:58 PM on Jun. 14, 2014

• I think it's appalling that you can go to jail for your children's truancy. I also think that it's atrocious to FINE people for this. PErsonally, I'd think that community service would be much more appropriate (and useful...) than slinging a parent in jail.
    goldpandora

Answer by goldpandora at 4:20 AM on Jun. 15, 2014