How can I get my one year old to sleep with out a bottle?

Asked by Anonymous at 9:13 PM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• well your the mommy you give them a drink before bed and put them down yeah they will fuss but they will eventually fall asleep. I know some moms who used water for a bit in the bottle then an empty bottle to break the habit

Answer by Lyndall at 10:06 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• They really shouldnt sleep with a bottle it puts them at a higher risk for ear infections and fluid in the ear

Answer by crissy386 at 11:50 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Sleeping with a bottle also GREATLY increases the chances that their teeth will get cavites, or even rot! That is usually the reason you will se little kids with caps on their teeth. Anyhow, my advice would be to either go cold turkey, give a drink before bed and then thats it (A lot of fussing will ensue, but bear with it) or if you cant bear that, only only only put plain water in the bottle. The milk lying in their mouth and on their teeth wears away at the enamel and can ruin their teeth, and water wont hurt. Hope this helps!

Answer by megan732 at 12:11 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• i feed her before go to mimi- i give her some cereal or fruit so she can be ful and fall asleep wtout bottle and if she get up at the middle of the nite(weird) i just put some chamomille tea she hate it so she doesnt drink aything till morning when i feed her i just give her chocolate milk so she really doesnt drink milk a nite.

Answer by shantee32 at 12:31 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• I used the cry it out method.. and it worked for me. I was putting my son to bed with a bottle, and hated the habit I started, so I just started feeding him his bottle before bed.. and then eventually he'd fall asleep.. he'd cry- but he's completely fine to this day

Answer by shenae704 at 10:33 AM on Jun. 20, 2008