How much spit-up is too much?

My daughter always spits up several times after eating. I burp her many many times at each feeding. I've tried giving her more formula and less formula. I even tried cereal once. We've switched formula a few times and have tried to stick with Good Start for awhile. She cries like her belly hurts for a long time after each feeding no matter how much formula she eats. Plus she spits up a lot.

Anyone know what I could do? How does the ped check for a milk allergy or reflux? She has an check up on the 27th. I'm scared they'll just tell me to deal with it.

EDIT: I'd like to add...I've tried the sensitive formula in every brand. Nothing helps. She's a perfect baby otherwise. She's eight weeks old.

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 5:10 PM on Feb. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sounds like reflux. My oldest DD had reflux REALLY bad.

She would drink a 4 oz. bottle, and I swear she'd spit up at least half of it. But she was healthy, gaining weight just fine, and the constant spitting up didn't seem to bother her.

If it appears to be bothering her, your pediatrician may prescribe something for her discomfort.
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 5:13 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• have you tried Mylicon drops? She might very well have gas from drinking. How is her latch to the bottle?? If you can her her drinking then she's taking in air, and the bubbles don't always come up when they burp. Mylicon will help with that.
    If its not gas then its probably reflux. My daughter has it. She's on Zantac that the doctor prescribed.
    And be sure that you mention it to the doc at your appointment. If you play it down to the doctor and act like its not a big deal then they won't try to fix it.. I learned that the hard way when my daughter was colicky.
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 5:22 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• It sounds like the formula, and the formula switching has left her stomach worse for wear.

At 8 weeks, if you committed - you could re-lactate, many women have, and many babies who weren't doing well on formula thrived and dealt better when the mother re-lactated.

If you are interested - re-lactation resources - http://www.kellymom.com/bf/adopt/relactation-resources.html#linksrelactation

And - "I would like to resume breastfeeding after an interruption. How do I relactate?" -- http://www.llli.org/FAQ/relactation.html
    are a good place to start.
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 5:25 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• My baby did this same thing-it really is hearbreaking to watch:(

We switched her formula from Enfamil w/ lipil to Enafamil gentlease, to Enfamil Soy and nothing worked for the poor baby. And yes, you are right-the Dr. will probably tell you to deal with it, but with kinder words:)

When she was a year we switched her to milk and she's been fine ever since!

Good luck:)
    Anonymous

• Anon 4:41 would also like to add that we tried gripe water and mylicon drops that didn't help either, but I do know people who swear by gripe juice:)
    Anonymous

• It sounds like reflux. You can try Mylanta 1cc before feeding to see if that helps with her belly pain. As to the spit up as long as it is not bothering her then it shouldn't bother you.
    coala

Answer by coala at 5:46 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• My baby has reflux.. and he wasn't gaining weight, so you could check to see if she is gaining weight okay. Also, switching the formula on her one too many times could cause her belly to hurt. lol my baby is on Similac Alimentum but they only prescribed it when they finally saw that the vomiting was really getting in the way of him growing. =) If she is gaining weight and everything else is fine, then they probably will tell you to deal with it. Everyone says "spitting up" is normal so maybe she's just gassy? sorry if I'm not much help but good luck anyway!
    sweetvietchic

Answer by sweetvietchic at 7:39 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• My 10m old has/had relfux no matter what formula he always spit up, it seemed like he would spit up the whole bottle that he drank, my ped said as long as he wasn't losing weight from it it was nothing to worry about or to use meds for so i just had to get use to dealing with the whole spit up on everything every time you eat crap.... now he refuses formula he wont take a bottle anymore and he doesn't spit up! apparently they grow out of it lol...... if she's crying she may be lactose intolerant check with your ped.... hope everything works out
    Anonymous

• sounds like my son. I basically bf so I had to cut out all dairy products. When he has formula, he has Similac Alimentum. The dr diagnosed the milk allergy based on his symptoms - what is often called colic is really an undiagnosed milk allergy. It isn't the severe type allergy that will land a child in the hospital but it is painful nonetheless. Does your child cry and its hard to comfort them? Does Mylicon do no good? Do they sound congested or seem to have more colds than other babies? Is the spit-up projectile? My son's spit-up would shoot out and soak everything in sight. Good luck.
    hfs1998

Answer by hfs1998 at 8:54 PM on Feb. 21, 2009