17 month old not adjusting well to new baby

Please can anyone give me advice on how to help my little boy adjust to his new baby sister. My daughter was born on Valentines day, and my son's behaviors continue to get worse and worse each day. He bites me constantly, throws temper tantrums continuously, and isn't happy. Today he hasn't eaten anything, and I just don't know how to help him. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. My little man used to be so happy and wonderful, and now he is just so unhappy and it kills me to see him like this.

jesscola

Asked by jesscola at 5:26 PM on Feb. 21, 2009 in General Parenting

• Are you spending any extra time with him w/o the new baby around. I would take a little extra time with him and see if it helps. As for the tantrums you should start discipling to that they don't get out of control. Start with some timeouts. I hope that it gets better for you.
    coala

Answer by coala at 6:00 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• Having children that close together makes it very hard for you, and most importantly the children.Why do women still do it? Your body did not have a chance to even recover from the first. The older child needs more one on one with you. And of course now you have the baby. You will need to leave the baby in the bassinet more and be with the older one now. Sad but true. Ideal situation wait until the first one is out of diapers, at the least. If children are spaced farther apart they will get along better throughout childhood and later. You really have your work cut out for you 2 in diapers is not for me. You need a book to help you to do what is right in raising them.

Anonymous

• wow, that was harsh. can you get someone to help you sometimes whiel you spend time aloen with your oldest? if not, try it whenthe baby is napping, and dont always leave the oldest for the youngest. btw, i have two friends who were in this situation and they came through it ok. it was hard, but it can be good when they are a bit older. keep up loving them both!
    kelinnh

Answer by kelinnh at 7:53 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• actually anon..... having kids 2 to 3 years apart doesn't mean they'll get along better... jess have you tried getting your son to help by feeding the baby or some other way? even if he's just holding the bottle, sometimes even having them do the smallest things can help, it makes the older ones feel included and like they are still loved, even though there is a new baby when it used to only be them. and even though he is young you should try explaining to him that mommy and daddy still love him just as much and that you need his help with sissy because she is very fragile. (i recommend stressing the fragile part......)
    pringles_697

Answer by pringles_697 at 11:14 PM on Feb. 21, 2009