My 16 month old and his first Cold...

What can I do for my 16 month old son. He has alot of clear runny snot. (I've been suctioning). Sneezing constantly, and coughing in his sleep. I have the vaporizor running for him at night. Is there anything I can give him to help him like vitamin C or any homeopathic stuff... ANYTHING?

SillyMomma

Asked by SillyMomma at 5:29 PM on Feb. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I believe you can use saline nasal drops to help clear and flush the sinus. You cant really buy anything over the counter that works anymore. People were not reading directions and overdosing their young kids so now we all suffer. with not much to give young children. If I were you I would call the doctor and have him give you something. You could also talk to the pharmacist for suggestions.(if they even allow him to give you anything now, I don't know).

DAWN-10

Answer by DAWN-10 at 5:41 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• you could also try running the shower really hot, blocking the bottom of the bathroom door with some towls and sitting in there with the steam for a few minutes (i do it til the water gets cold), just take the bulb sucker with you and let him sit in the floor with you and read and play with toys, suction him out or wipe his nose, but try not to suction too much because it will lead to irritation and get sore in his nose. Saline drops are awesome! Johnsons vapor bath is also pretty good, just when you run the shower, plug the tub and poor a little in there, open the curtain a little to get the steam to really come out and the vapor (smells like vicks) will help keep everything loose for him, if he is running a temp, tylenol or motrin will help too. I know its a horrible feeling but it shouldnt last too long, just give some extra cuddles. Oh.... and homemade chicken noodle soup really does work wonders!
    chipper87

Answer by chipper87 at 6:08 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• The saline is good because it keeps the nose moist while helping to clear out any nasties. We don't do Motrin or Tylenol here, so we just use Vit C ascorbate, and lots of healthy foods. On another note, congrats on it being the FIRST cold!
    mrsflum

Answer by mrsflum at 1:31 AM on Feb. 23, 2009