Vicks inhailer - can I sleep with it up my nose?

I can only breathe through my nose during the day while the vicks inhailer is sitting up my nose.

At night I wake up if I can't breathe through my nose.

SO

Can I sleep with the inhailer up my nose?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:36 PM on Feb. 21, 2009 in Health

• I wouldn't....just because it sounds uncomfortable.

I prefer to breathe out of my nose also, but if you're breathing fine out of your mouth, I wouldn't go sticking things up my nose that don't belong, especially for 6-8 hours at a time.

Is there a partiuclar reason you can't breathe through your nose at night?
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 5:49 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• Frequent or prolonged use may cause nasal congestion to recur or worsen

Direct from their site.

Just use it as directed and stay safe that way. If you are that stuffy get a decongestant. At this point though it might be best to not use more meds, because you could have already caused rebound symptoms.

I would contact your doctor if you seriously can't breathe at all and need relief.
    Anonymous

• I have a cold, a very blocked nose. I CANNOT sleep, not while my nose is blocked. I'm talking about using it just for the next couple of days, not every night - just while I get over this cold.

Anonymous

• That's crazy. You must look pretty funny. If you have a cold (stuffy nose) get an over the counter decongestant. Personally, I like to use the Vicks nasal spray right before I go to bed to open my sinus so I can go to sleep. If you are more ill, you might consider something like Theraflu, which has a lot of other things in it that treat the mirage of symptoms you may have. (Including the sinus headache). Get that damn thing out of your nose. Teee Heeee!

Anonymous

• Put Vicks gel on your feet and put socks on when you go to bed. In the morning your stuffiness will be gone.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 6:02 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• get sudafed non PE, you have to ask the pharmacist and show ID
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 6:03 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• Have you tried doing sinus rinses or using a neti pot. Much safer alternative than using drugs and doesn't give you that dried up, drugged up feeling. I have sinus problems and so it 2x a day when I'm having problems and feel results immediately.

nwdeserangel

Answer by nwdeserangel at 8:56 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• sounds like you have over used it. ask a pharmacist or call your Doc. to see what else you can do. Sudafed is good to.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 8:57 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• Have you tried the Breathe Right nasal strips? My hubby uses them at night when he has a cold, and it really helps him.
    ProudTxGrandma

Answer by ProudTxGrandma at 10:00 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• I've heard of rubbing Vicks on your feet, too, but I don't know if it works, though.
    The nasal strips sound like a good idea.
    You can try rubbing some of the Vicks cream around your nose or under it and sleeping that way.
    Don't forget, a humidifier can really do wonders, too!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 10:23 PM on Feb. 21, 2009