15 month old hit her head really hard

Okay, so my 15 month old just fell off of the couch backwards and slammed her head into the corner of the chest (coffee table)... she hadn't had a nap yet so she was really tired anyway, but now she is asleep, should I be as worried as I am? I called the emergency line for the dr. and I am waiting for them to call me back, but should I be keeping her awake, take her to the er? I am really worried? I mean, she has fallen down a flight of stairs before and been okay but she slammed her head really hard, but as soon as i picked her up she was okay and stopped screaming, so i dont know...anyone know what i should be doing?

chipper87

Asked by chipper87 at 6:01 PM on Feb. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• btw... please do not bash me, her dad has already jumped down my throat for it and it wasnt something i could prevent, i tried to catch her!
    chipper87

Answer by chipper87 at 6:02 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• I think if she seemed fine, like you said, then calling the doctor line was a good next choice. In the mean time I would maybe keep the door cracked to check on her...KWIM ? She never lost consciousness right ?

Also why you are waiting this kids health site had some info about head injuries. Things to look for : http://kidshealth.org/parent/firstaid_safe/emergencies/head_injury.html

No bashing from me....sometimes kids just move faster then parents !!!!

OK I had to repost my answer, because found a "Falls fact" sheet. Tells you exactly what to do. I think it will ease your mind. Looks like in your daughters case, just watch her closely for the next 24 hours. http://kidshealth.org/parent/firstaid_safe/sheets/falls_she

J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 6:22 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• my lil brother did a back flip off our from stairs and his head on the cement big bump. But the doctor said, One babies can take falls, two if he was alert and wasnt fall down or had no gash he was probably okay to go to sleep. so just keep checking on her but I think she should be fine.
    mzprincessreina

Answer by mzprincessreina at 6:33 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• First of all if the bump comes out that is fine - if it stays in then you really need to be worried. My coworkers grandchild hit the coffee tabe the other day and they took him to the ER. They checked his eyes and told him if he was put to sleep to wake him every 2 hours to see if he was OK. Now fully awake just an arousal to see if he was fine.
    SuperBamaMom

Answer by SuperBamaMom at 6:55 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• I work at a child care center and I recall this little boy learning to walk and we were out side and he fell I swear I head something like a egg craking on the cement. I ran over scooped him up and you no nothing was wrong we called the mom who was a dr. she came and looked him over and nothing. Childrens heads seem to be able to take the falls more then us parents are able to.
    moma22angels

Answer by moma22angels at 10:47 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• okay... so mom went and got the car seat from my bf/bd but when she got her Natalie was awake and doing well so we decided some tylenol might be enough. She has had a regular appetite and is playing with toys so im sure she is okay, just really scared me!!!!!!!!! Thank you guys for helping me with this, hope you all have a wonderful stress free night!
    chipper87

Answer by chipper87 at 10:49 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• My daughter used to fall and knock DENTS into her head....pretty sure she'll be alright, but just ask the doc what they think n e way
    AshleyRiv

Answer by AshleyRiv at 1:15 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Glad to hear everything seems ok! Whenever my DD falls I take her to see her chiropractor. Yes, she has one, and he adjusts her for free. Everytime I take her in though, he says she must have knocked everything into place, because she looks perfect! I just like to be sure....and I don't let her go to sleep right away.
    mrsflum

Answer by mrsflum at 1:28 AM on Feb. 23, 2009