Can the doctors be wrong sometimes?

Ok, I had an ultrasound on November 24 and the lady said that I was 14 weeks, which means that the baby would have only been 12 weeks. So that would have made my last period around the 19th right? Im trying to remember my last period and I am having some problems. The reason that I am asking is because there are a few possibilites for the father. I know that it sounds horrible but I was going threw some family issues that month and was acting not like myself. I slept with on Aug 16, Aug 25, and around late aug or the first day of sep. Can they be wrong on when my lmp was? Any help would be great. Im afraid to tell my doctor this because I don't want to look bad....

mahaeh1

Asked by mahaeh1 at 6:33 PM on Feb. 21, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Your doctor's opinion of who you slept with and how many men you slept with would only matter if you were talking about your health, meaning STD's. Other than that, I'm pretty sure they could care less.

Do you know for sure when your LMP was? Your baby could just be measuring small.
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 6:34 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• Of course Dr's can be wrong. They are not Gods, or psychics!
    mamalinzie

Answer by mamalinzie at 6:40 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• I just wasn't sure if they could be wrong estimating the amount of weeks I was by the ultrasound machine. Or if they were alway right by that.
    mahaeh1

Answer by mahaeh1 at 6:43 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• They determine age based on your LMP and the size of the baby. You may just have to wait until the baby is born and have paternity tests conducted--make sure you have all of the potential fathers and contact information!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:54 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• earlier ultrasounds are more accurate for date. so if you are in your first trimester it is very probable that the date is correct... BUT, everyone makes mistakes sometimes...

except me, I am perfect...hahahahahaha
    LuckyClown

Answer by LuckyClown at 6:56 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• Only you can answer about the LMP dates. And the earlier U/Ss are better for accuracy, but still a guess. But ultimately, your baby is unique and can (& will) grow at it's individual rate, in the end, no matter if the doctor or U/S was right on, it will be difficult to know if baby was gestated exactly 280 days (as very few are)...

If it's a close call and important to know, you might need to wait to do a paternity test.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 7:17 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• Yes, they can be wrong.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:43 AM on Feb. 22, 2009