really painful contractions but still not dilating

ok i will be 40 weeks tomorrow

iv been having contractions for about 2 weeks now and they are so bad i cant walk or talk when i have them

i went to l&d and they were 4 to 5 mins apart

but im still not dilating or effacing they also told me my cervix is still really up high up
they send me home every time i go

so i was wondering if this happend to other people before and if so did u ever go in to labor naturaly?????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:37 PM on Feb. 21, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It sounds like you are laboring, but maybe not active labor you know? I wouldn't worry unless you go past 42 weeks hehe. (Since you aren't overdue until after 42 weeks).. Keep walking, and have lots of sex (with yourself if you have to!) and try and not stress.

Good luck momma.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 6:39 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• My water broke before I ever dialated or effaced with my oldest DD.

I was 80% effaced and 1 cm dialated with my youngest when I went into labor...but my cervix was still really high up.
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 6:40 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• Happens to me every pregnancy. I go into labor at 41 weeks and a few days every time. I contracted for four hours today but it wasn't labor. I'm 41 weeks so maybe it'll be soon, maybe I have another week.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 7:03 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• You don't need to get checked, it (obviously!) doesn't tell you anything relevant... Many women refuse getting checked for this reason. Moms can have long & slow labor, Prodromal Labor, and continue to have very normal, natural births.

It's possible your baby is trying to find the right position for birth.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 7:12 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• i did this for 6 weeks and nothing my dr had to put me in and induce and still nothing come to find out my baby was to big to have naturally he said since the baby was dropping i wasdilating i had an 10 lbs baby and he was 24 inches long
    mom-to-be21

Answer by mom-to-be21 at 7:16 PM on Feb. 21, 2009