Are any of you ladies a vet?

I was just curious I have been giving my dogs worm medicine from our local feed store someone recommended this to us for our dogs for heart worms. Because at the vet's office they charge an arm and a leg for a treatment for heart worms.

Anyway I want to know is it posibible for my dogs to poop the worms out?
I have not seen any worms in the pasts until today while picking up their poop there was this big noodle looking thing on one of the poops. I hope it is. Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:40 PM on Feb. 21, 2009 in Pets

• Not a vet but I work for one...If the question will they poop out heart worms. I personally would not trust an over the counter prevention for HW. HW Prevention meds from your vet are actually very inexpensive compared to the cost of treating as you mention cost an arm and a leg. Ask your vet about Heartgard it comes in a six month supply and usually cost around $50 give or take depending on the vet and the size of your dog. Big noodle looking worms most likely round worms. If the dewormer you gave cover that then it would be normal to see the dead worms pass. the Heartgard covers those to.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:21 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• I'm not a vet but when our dog was a puppy, the same thing happened. We had prescribed heartworm meds, but yes...she did poop them out.
    my2luvbugs

Answer by my2luvbugs at 6:43 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• Heart worms won't be pooped out, but other types of worms, usually the ones in the puppy's digestive tracts, are pooped out.

The reason the meds at the vets office are more expensive is because they are prescription strength and are better. That being said, *sometimes* what a pet suppy store carries will work, but sometimes, the worms are too advanced for it to work properly. Its the luck of the draw.
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 6:46 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• Hmmm, it was about 6 yrs ago for me...could it maybe have been tapeworms then? Yikes, now I'm not sure... =\
    my2luvbugs

Answer by my2luvbugs at 6:50 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• Its possible they could've been tapeworms...or even hookworms. The only way to know for sure would've been to take a stool sample to the vet for analysis.
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 6:51 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• Yeah, we did take her to the vet. I'm thinking it was tapeworms. But it happened almost 6 yrs ago, so my memory is shot.

OP, if you can, try to take UR furbaby to the vet. I know it's expensive but it would be worth it if they got rid of them properly and faster too. Just a thought. =) Hope they are better soon!
    my2luvbugs

Answer by my2luvbugs at 6:55 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• I thought you had to have medicine especially for heartworms to work on that. The regular worm medicine work on digestive tract worms, but check with your ver to be sure--a phone call doesn't cost.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 7:57 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• i know the heartworm medicine my dogs are on also treats digestive worms (hook, round and whip) so if yours does the same the dog is probably just excreting the digestive worms that it already had. id call the vet and ask before you make an appointment because its very likely its the same thing.
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 8:05 PM on Feb. 21, 2009