Military schools and Fat camps for children, what is your opinion?

For or against, why?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:05 PM on Feb. 21, 2009 in General Parenting

• In cases of discipline issues and the like, I could see military school. I would only do it if for some reason, we were scared our children were headed in a bad direction and didn't think we could steer them straight. As far as "fat camps" I am torn. I like the idea of children being around other children struggling with obesity as they are. But I hate the idea that you send your child away to fix something that the parent should have been monitoring and helping with from birth themselves. In my opinion, it would be better to seek out a dietician and a exercise regime before I took that measure. I guess they are both a last resort to me. But if I felt I had done all that I could do without that type of an intervention I would consider them.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 7:10 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• Inform the child on both (what goes on, what will happen)--let the child decide.
    BooHooMommy

Answer by BooHooMommy at 7:13 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• To put it simply, I completely agree with Mom1Stepmom1. lol
    my2luvbugs

Answer by my2luvbugs at 7:14 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• Gracious, I thought for sure I was going to either get a bad reaction or a "what the hell is this lady talking about" Good to know I made sense!
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 7:18 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• I feel that they have their place but why do you ask?
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:34 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• for both...only if it helps the child...they are both insanely expensive though...
    Briyawna

Answer by Briyawna at 9:49 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• I don't know a thing about "fat camps," but I work at Randolph-Macon Academy, which is a military prep school that my son attends as a day student. Military schools are not for "bad kids." These schools differ from each other as much as colleges do. R-MA happens to be a great college prep school with an Air Force JROTC program. We don't accept kids with "discipline issues." Military schools teach leadership while preparing kids for college. As one alumnus said, we take good kids and make them great leaders.

You have to do what's right for the child. That should include involving him/her in the decision-making process with regards to a new school, because you can't force change on anyone and make them be successful. They have to be willing to try. If they aren't, and you're trying to force things anyway, you need a reform school (which some military schools are) or a therapeutic program...but that should be a last resort.
    R-MA_Mom

Answer by R-MA_Mom at 1:53 PM on Feb. 25, 2009