ADHD Evaluation

We are taking our son to get evaluated for ADHD. He is an odd case as he doesn't really have the impulse control issues or the spacial issues. He just has a hard time remembering routines and staying on task. However, I am wondering what to expect from this eval. We filled out all the paperwork and the initial forms and have our first eval slated for mid March. Thanks ladies.!

Mom1Stepmom1

Asked by Mom1Stepmom1 at 7:06 PM on Feb. 21, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Do not accept a diagnosis from ONE evaluation. My son is currently being evaluated by a psychologist for possible Asperger's and ADHD...he is 5 and we were told not to expect a diagnosis until he was at least 6 but closer to 8 unless he had extreme behavior. He does have impulse control issues.

We (his parents and teachers, too) have filled out forms for basic behaviors and recently for disruptive behavior. His psychologist has said we're "nearing" a diagnosis...but he's not ready to give one just yet.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:42 AM on Feb. 22, 2009

• It sounds more like ADD, not ADHD. He can't focus? That's attention deficite. The HD is hyperactivity disorder. I don't know what to expect. My son was diagnosed with ADHD when he was 3. It was very obvious. He was put on ritalin, which we didn't like. We took him to a psychiatrist, too. He was finally put on concerta, which works good for him. You can go with more then one eval. But if you are going to medicate, either it will work or it won't. We think my special needs son could have ADD, we talked with his neurologist about it. He said to try him on meds, if it works, then good. If not, then don't make him take it. He wouldn't take it, so we didn't push it. But depending on the severity, just therapy may work for your son.
    We think my ADHD son has Aspbergers, but a psychologist I took him to said he didn't. He doesn't have not social skills. But he is also in the talented and gifted program.
    Buffie95

Answer by Buffie95 at 8:44 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Apparently he is normal for that.
    Buffie95

Answer by Buffie95 at 8:45 AM on Feb. 23, 2009