Is it teething, and if so how can I help my 23month old daughter get through it?

My daughter never had a problem teething before, but I'm assuming its her molars coming in. I'm fairly sure that she is teething, but there are some things that just dont add up. I think it is teething because she has red swollen gums(that appeared overnight), drooling like crazy, and mild fever, along with crankiness and a newfound inability to sleep through the night. She also has extreme cold and hot sensitivity, extreme pain and fear of her mouth being touched, and her gums are so excessively swollen that they're bleeding around her upper front teeth. She refuses to eat anything and doesnt want much to do with liquids. She's in soo much pain, even with motrin and I'm scared there may be some underlying problem. Has anyone ever experienced any teething problems that included the latter symptoms, or is it time to get a doctors opinion?

vintageGlamurrr

Asked by vintageGlamurrr at 7:10 PM on Feb. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I could see the fear of exposing her mouth. That is reasonable to me. The temperature sensitivity is the one that concerns me the most. I would call your doctor and just see what he./she says about it. It may just be that she is upset already that any discomfort, a little too warm or a little too cold, is too much for her to bear on top of everything else.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 7:16 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• Sounds like a bad bout of the herpes virus to me. You should have a doctor look at it!

Anonymous

• The swelling and bleeding of the gums concerns me. I'd call your pediatrician and take it from there. She may need to be seen right away I don't know.
    Good luck and I hope she feels better soon!
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 8:49 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• My baby ran a feaver but none of my 4 ever blead. I would ask a Dr.
    marvelgirl

Answer by marvelgirl at 9:45 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• I would have thought it was teething from the back molars which are very painful, but the excessive swelling of the gums in the FRONT doesn't make sense. And also bleeding. I'd call the answering service immediately! But it's late, perhaps you already have. Hope she gets better soon!
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 10:06 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• Scared me when I got the herpes answer so called the doctor right away, and guess what, they were right, its basically chicken pox inside her mouth, so thank you for everybodys input, and unfortunately theres nothing I can do more than give her motrin to ease her pain, which is at a 7 on the pain scale apparently. I'm just holdong her hoping mommy's love will ease her through the pain
    vintageGlamurrr

Answer by vintageGlamurrr at 12:26 AM on Feb. 22, 2009