formula feed and breast feed

I breast fead my daughter like for two weeks and then gave her formula because i dint produce enough milk. now im breast feeding my son ive been doing it for 3 months and plan to do it for at least a year. should i feel guilty because i fail at breast feeding my daughter?

hmomr

Asked by hmomr at 7:33 PM on Feb. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No. You were an inexperienced first time mom. If you gave what you could and you tried your best then you shouldn't feel bad. As long as you know that you are doing what is best for your kids then you are a good mom.
    coala

Answer by coala at 7:35 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• Nope. Absolutely not, and NEVER let anyone try to make you feel bad for it.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 7:36 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• Why should you feel guilt now? What would that help? Nothing.

You learned from a past experience, and now you are using that knowledge to do help with your new breastfeeding experience. Don't dwell on the past - learn from it.
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 7:37 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• I understand how you feel. I also tried breastfeeding my son and did not produce enough milk. I feel that I gave up too early and had I continued trying and used a good pump, it probably would have worked out soon enough. When I have another child I plan to breastfeed and not give up until it works! I sometimes wonder if it would be unfair (assuming it even works out) to breastfeed a second child when I hardly breastfed my first. I think I'd feel guilty too but the truth is you shouldn't. If your experience was anything like mine, breastfeeding was much harder than expected and you probably gave it all you got. Now that you're more experienced with it, you were able to breastfeed your second child and that is wonderful. No sense in withholding breastmilk from the second child just because it wasn;t possible to give it to the first. You're doing your best for both kids and thats no cause for guilt.
    IsaiahsMommy515

Answer by IsaiahsMommy515 at 7:45 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• Why would you feel guilty. Both of them ate right.
    mommatime78

Answer by mommatime78 at 7:45 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• No, you shouldn't feel guilty. As long as you fed your daughter, that's what matters. Sometimes, the breasts will produce more for one child and not enough for another child. It can happen with the first baby or any after the first. There's nothing to feel guilty about - it's not your fault and you quickly switched over to formula to make sure your daughter was being fed. You did the best that you could do with BOTH your children and that's something to be PROUD of!
    cat0325

Answer by cat0325 at 8:03 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• No, like with all things in Motherhood, just learn from your experiences and use the knowledge to make informed future decisions.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 8:14 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• absolutely not....if shes a happy healthy baby then you are doin good momma.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 8:27 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• I sure felt guilty. I think it's normal. Not BFIng my older kids will always be one of my biggest regrets as a mom. My youngest has never had a bottle of formula and I couldn't be more proud. The same will be said for my future children. As long as you learned from your mistake and fix it, you are a great mom!
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 9:00 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• OMG WHAT HAVE YOU DONE!?!?! haha just kidding, you're fine :)
    Anonymous