Any one had a hysterectomy? If so how did it turn out?

tonialynn07

Asked by tonialynn07 at 7:50 PM on Feb. 21, 2009 in Health

• I had a supra-cervical hysterectomy. Meaning I still have my cervix, ovaries, tubes. I only had the uterus removed. They attempted to do it laprascopically, but due to uncontrolled bleeding during surgery, they gave me the big cut. All went well, I was up and around in a week, on the treadmill in 2, swimming in 3, on the motorcycle in 4. Took me 4 years to make the decision and I wished I'd made it sooner. Was a good decision.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 8:00 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• There are different kinds of hysterectomy's. The poster above is one of the lucky ones. If you are so unlucky to have to have it all removed, many women report no sex drive, and are unable to ever have an orgasm again. If you are going to have to have one you need to do your research and be prepared for what might happen. There are lots of other side effects, too many to mention here. You will need to know how to make the best of them. hormone replacement is one.

Anonymous

• I never had one, but my first MIL did and she told me the secret is to be sure that they leave in at least one ovary if they can. I guess for the hormones that help you keep your sex drive.
    Take care.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 10:19 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• I had a total hysterectomy almost 2 years ago. They took everything. I had Fibroid tumors on my uterus,and Endometriosis. The doctor told me later my uterus was the size of a 3 month pregnancy, from all the fibroids. I just wanted it all out, to eliminate any possibilities of cancer,since it runs in the women in our family. I've not had any problems, in fact, I had no idea how many problems it was all causing me till I didn't have them anymore,if that makes sense. As for the hormones, not gonna lie. Menopause is no fun. Hot flashes are lousy,but still better than what I was dealing with. The sex drive hasn't been that bad,either. I have taken HRT,but decided to go it on my own, since some of them can cause breast cancer. Best wishes to you.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 1:03 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• I was very lucky, I only had a partial. My mother had the works. It took her three months to recover. Thirty years later I had one and in one month I was back to normal as normal could be. I was glad I had it done. I felt better than ever. A friend had one done within a month ago. She was on her feet in a couple days and is glad she had it done also. Nothing sexual has changed in any of our lives. I did make sure I had a couple docs check me out to make positive I needed it done.
    Deanna1738

Answer by Deanna1738 at 5:52 PM on Feb. 22, 2009