What would you do?

I am about to have a nervous break down with my 7 yr. old son He is just getting on my nervous I ask him politely to have a seat I will be right with him. He'll sit but then he starts to misbehaive (picking on sister or vise versa) I ask him again to have a seat or ask him to do something for me then he starts to whine at me about how why do I have to do it and at the same time with a high pitch voice I tell bc I am ur mom and I said so he gets very upset with me and tells me what he is feeling (like he is the victim). I tell him ok I don't want to get upset w/you bc I don't want to have to spank you....He acts like he doesn't care but at the same time I don't feel like getting that upset I hate feeling upset and mad. Why does it have to get that far...I don't want to hear him whine I do not like it when he does that it gets very annoying he won't stop unless he is finished. I try for a positive approach but he don't get it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:04 PM on Feb. 21, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• When my kids start whining I tell them I don't speak whinese so I can't talk to them until they speak in a normal voice.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 7:40 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• ignore him. hes doing it for attention my 5yr old does it and i just ignore him it took me a while to ignore him because its annoying and they know it just walk off and dont say anything to him he will learn
    4lyfe56

Answer by 4lyfe56 at 8:10 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• Do you ask him to wait a minute a lot? And when he does wait do you follow through with what you say you will? Do you award him/praise him when he does do a favor for you? Just wondering...

Children at this age USUALLY want to impress you and USUALLY want to help out. Even though he is seven he still wants a lot of your attention.

Good luck.
    Anonymous

• i am a mom fo 4 and pre school teacher and nanny so this is what i have found workd and my dd has a 5 yr old who was driving her crazy with his "selective hearing" too. so have you tried sticker chart? instead of nagging and yelling at him simply use a reward system for good behavior and after he gets oh maybe 7 stickers he can pick out a small reward like a cool little pad and pencil or gum orwhatever he likes. now if he doesnt do what you ask he loses a sticker and thats the end of it. if he has a temper tantrum over it just ignore him. he will learn to do what hes told because he has some thing to gain from it! good luck! this really doeswork as longas your consistent and stick to your guns. no yelling just stay calm and you havethe control. dont let him see you unravel cause than he has the control. with the stickers he feels he has some control and younget what you want too! any questions feel free to mess.me
    serah

Answer by serah at 8:15 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• oh btw i forgot tp saymy grandson the five year old has come to put on his shoes himself and pick up his messes etc... since my dd has been doing the stickers. she jjust puts them on the fridge and he loves it! hes so proud of himself and talks about what reward he gonna get next!
    serah

Answer by serah at 8:17 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• leave him wherever he is (but lock the doors if nobody else is there and make sure he can't hurt himself) and go into another room for a few minutes to calm down. it sounds kind of mean but it usually works, and once he figures out he won't get what he wants when he wants it he'll start acting better
    pringles_697

Answer by pringles_697 at 10:43 PM on Feb. 21, 2009