What are some things a child should know before going to preschool?

My daughter will be going to preschool starting in September. ( 3 yr olds) What are some things I should work on with her over the summer before she goes? She already knows her ABC's, she can count to 25, draw a circle. Any other ideas? Thanks.

mommytobrooke

Asked by mommytobrooke at 8:46 PM on Feb. 21, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• how to jump, shapes, numbers, letters, how to tie a shoe, write her name, that's all i can think of right now.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 8:49 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• I suppose how to listen and how to let the teachers know she has to go potty. I thought preschool is where children learn their ABCs! Perhaps, like kindergarten, it depends on the preschool you send her to. Check with them on what she's expected to know when she starts.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 9:32 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• It is amazing what they will elarn all alone. You may think you need to stuff knowlage in to their heads before school but there is no proof that that helps them become a rocket sceintest. As long as they like to play and sing and will talk to others you should be fine. Kids this age learn from play. they realy do.
    marvelgirl

Answer by marvelgirl at 9:36 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• it depends on what preschool you take them to. I would ask the preschool you are planning to enroll your child in. my step son compared to a lot of kids on here it seems was a little behind. lol. But he has done really well at preschool. his preschool has them practice writing one letter a week. they just started writing their name this semester. they do colors, shapes, and numbers. According to his teacher, the big thing that they are suppose to really do before kindergarten is to learn how to behave in school. it sounds to me like your child is at the very least on target if not ahead of the game. If I had been involved when my step son was younger I would have tried to work with him to improve his knowledge. If it wasn't for me he probably would have never been enrolled at all. also, the schools where i am don't do addresses and phone numbers until 2nd grade!
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 11:10 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• The biggest things she needs to know are not the ABC's and 123's.
    She needs to know how to put on her own coat.
    She needs to know how to use the potty with little to no help or how to ask for help.
    The more "life skills" she knows, the better she will do.
    Remember, you are putting her in preschool to learn the ABC's and to learn social skills. She doesn't need to know those before starting.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:55 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• Amen kaycee14!
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 12:50 AM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Not to quibble but I disagree about shoe tying. She needs to be able to be left alone with her peers, put on her coat, toss her lunchbox in the bin, hold a crayon, interact with other children. Knowing her abcs and numbers is nice but not important. Knowing colors and shapes is good.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 2:22 AM on Feb. 22, 2009

• She doesn't need to know how to tie her shoes. She doesn't need to know how to write her name. She doesn't NEED to know anything, really not academically. (shoot...my 5 year old can't tie shoes yet it is NOT a requirement for pre-school)

Anything she does know is "bonus".

She should be able to get along with her peers, play with them, listen to adults (but obviously that one won't be consistent lol) and most want them potty trained.

Honestly, letters, numbers, shapes, colors, writing, etc..that is all worked on in pre-K (4 year olds). Going at 3 (my second son) they work more on following direction and working with peers...a little bit with the academics, but mostly the social aspects.

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:50 AM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Let her have the summer to play and be a carefree little kid. She is just 3! She is still a baby! She will learn all of the pre-readiness skills needed for kindergarten while IN preschool. Also, just as important, she will learn social skills, following a teachers directions, and attention to task. Just let her be little and have fun and spend some time with other children her age this summer. She will learn alot through her play. Big school will come soon enough and you don't want her to be bored when she gets there!
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 8:57 AM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Most of the things that some other ladies have listed are things that kids are supposed to learn once they are in preschool. Knowing how to sing her ABC's and recognizing her name compared to other names is more then enough, and counting is more then enough for preschool.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:16 PM on Feb. 22, 2009