what ae some homeschoool benefits??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:55 PM on Feb. 21, 2009 in General Parenting

• well, if the parent is actually educated, it's more one on one teaching the children CAN learn more by this. in a class of 30 kids, the teachers don't have as much time to devote to each student for questions.

no peer pressure on your kids for how to dress or act since they have no peers.

it's also a great option for parents that want their kids censored and totally ignorant of the real world. you can choose what to teach them as long as you follow the basics that are set down by the home school association.

Anonymous

• Wow...I think the PP is a bit anti-homeschooling.

I would say that a few benefits of homeschooling are allowing the child to learn in ways that are specific to his learning style rather than being grouped into a large classroom with a curriculum that cannot address each child's personal learning style.

Additionally, children will learn better if they are really INTERESTED in what they are learning about, which means being flexible and following the child's interests, but following it through with multiple channels of learning.

Third, parents have more say about who their children hang out with through home school groups and extracurricular activities. In public schools, the parent has no way to ensure that their child is spending time with peers or adults who reflect the values that the parent wishes to instill in their child.

What else...learning time is more focused, home schooled children average higher test scores.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 9:15 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• nope JP, I plan on homeschooling my kids through middle school and highschool and letting them go to public elementary.

I only am anti-censorship style homeschooling. I feel sorry for the poor sheltered kids that grow up then leave home and get a serious reality check!
    Anonymous

• cont...Home schooled children can often complete their entire K-12 education requirements before their peers do because their study is more focused and much more interesting to them. Parents are not shunted to a secondary position when it comes to determining what is best for their child's education - after all, educating our children is the parents' first and foremost responsibility.

So, I would say those are just some of the benefits of home schooling. And please don't believe anyone who tells you that home schooled kids are social morons and completely out of touch with the "real" world. More often than not, they get to experience the world in a way which enthuses them with a desire to learn more and experience more, and thus be more in touch with the real world than children required to meet the "social" norms of public schools.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 9:21 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

Then you weren't really answering the OP's question, were you?? It's confusing to say you're pro-homeschooling but don't clarify in your original post the distinction you hold between good and bad homeschooling. It lead me, and would likely lead others, to believe that you are anti-home schooling since your response was predominantly negative. Sorry if I misunderstood, but it certainly wasn't very clear.

JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 9:25 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• Home school, Public school, private school...I don't see what the big deal is. If the child is educated and well adjusted does it matter how or where they became that way? It is a personal choice based on so many different variables that I could not possibly list them. The benefits of any of the above are what you make them. If you want to home school and you have the means then do it. If not then don't feel bad. What matters is your child gaining the knowledge and social skills to be successful in what ever goals they set for themselves.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:26 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• If we had the room in this house, if I were better educated (I have like 1 1/2 years of community college) but don't feel that I could teach a child anything from books, and if I had more patience I would LOVE to homeschool...
    Briyawna

Answer by Briyawna at 9:41 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• The benefits I see in homeschooling is that I will be the main influence on my children for their entire school career, they will learn and explore the world with a teacher they trust implicitly who only has THEIR best intrests in mind. Our family time will not be dictated by a school calendar and my children will have more opportunities to interact with the real world as they accompany me through it.

The main reason I decided to homeschool is because when my dad was in high school he had a teacher he loved. That teacher said there was no God and my father believed him versus his own parents. I don't want other people having that kind of influence over my children. I want to control the atmosphere they grow in until they are grown and prepared enough to stand in the world and make those decisions on their own. I can't think of a con to homeschooling except I don't envision much "alone" time for me for a few years!
    MommyAddie

Answer by MommyAddie at 9:15 AM on Feb. 22, 2009