Uhh isn't this illegal?

Uhh isn't it illegal for an employer NOT to pay you for training/orientation? I live in FL, I dont know if the laws are different here for some reason. But as far as I can remember with any REPUTIBLE company I've been paid for training.

SillyMomma

Asked by SillyMomma at 9:00 PM on Feb. 21, 2009 in Money & Work

• if they require you to be there then they Should pay you for it, but I don't know FL laws, why don't you goodle FL employment laws.
    Anonymous

• agree with the anonymous answer :)
    BooHooMommy

Answer by BooHooMommy at 9:03 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• I think it should be a law, but where I live they always specify "paid" training, which makes me think that some places don't pay for training. Like maybe truck drivers having to pay for their training before getting hured by a company or something (sorry that's the only example I came up with).
    avpriddis

Answer by avpriddis at 9:06 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• I'm not sure either about state laws, but its not illegal unless they told you they WERE going to pay you but didn't.
    Anonymous

• Yeah, um, my employer wasn't required to pay for my college education to train me as an accountant.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 9:47 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• By training i meen like orientation. In office stuff.
    SillyMomma

Answer by SillyMomma at 10:24 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• it depends.. they should tell you right up front that you are not being paid for this.. otherwise it normally is assumed that you will be paid, I would talk to HR about it. As well as others already in the company. I went to one that didn't, but they told me up front that this was not covered under companie work time so we would not be getting paid for it, but it was manditory.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:05 AM on Feb. 22, 2009

• I live in Florida also, and my employer paid for my 2 weeks of training. I have a few friends here too that did NOT get paid so I guess it just depends.
    sweetvietchic

Answer by sweetvietchic at 12:58 AM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Some do not. They see it as an assessment to decide if they want to offer you employment.

Magpie75

Answer by Magpie75 at 3:58 AM on Feb. 22, 2009

• es time worked should be paid
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 7:41 PM on Feb. 22, 2009