Need Information..

Ok. My DS is 6 months old and has thrush and is very cranky and can't sleep or eat. I have him on meds for it.
Is there anything else I can do to help him not feel so bad and eat,sleep, and not be so cranky.
I know the crankyness is from hunger and lask of sleep and because it hurts. Other then the meds I'm giving him is there anything else I can do?

TristansMommy16

Asked by TristansMommy16 at 9:14 PM on Feb. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Teething tablets work great for helping to ease the "crankies". And my doctor told me that it is painful and to not hesitate to use pain meds.
    And annoymous at :27 is right - make sure everything that goes into his mouth is CLEAN. Boil nipples and binkies. Throw all toys in the dishwasher.
    Gentian violet can be used along with the prescription meds. Most pharmacies can special order it for you if they don't have it in stock. You only have to apply it once. Dip a q-tip into the bottle and gently roll it along the inside of the lips and cheeks. It will stain everything! Be sure both of you wear clothes you don't care about and you are either outside or over a hard floor that won't stain. If you use it, take a picture! It's so dark it looks like you put black lipstick on him.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:20 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• DS had thrush but he never got cranky or anything. He was pretty normal but I think I noticed it super early too. maybe you can let him suck on a popsicle or something.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 9:18 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• give him some tylenol.

and go buy some Yo-Baby brand yogurt! feed him some of that! it'll help the thrush & since it's cold it will feel good.

try feeding him his bottles cold too. If you are breast feeding, try pumping and refridgerating it before feeding, feeding it cold.

Anonymous

• Make sure you are treating everything that goes into baby's mouth (binkies, toys, bottles, etc.). If the nystantin doesn't seem to be working which can be the case because it is sugary and thrush thrives off of sugar try some gentian violet (something along those lines) it is OTC, just be careful because it dyes things purple. Try and stay away from sugary substances (again thrush feeds off of it). If you are breastfeeding continue to do so (& also treat yourself) if you are combo feeding do your best to stay away from formula (over 50% sugar) and breastfeed more. Breastmilk will lessen the strength of the illness and length. I hope baby feels better soon!

Anonymous