How much should my 5 month old be eating?

My daughter is 5 months old and at her last check up she weighed 18 pounds. Which is on the heavy side. I am feeding her 4 ounces of formula every 2.5 to 3 hours (longer when she is napping)because she starts getting cranky and cries if I wait any longer than that. It equals about 20 ounces a day. I also give her a small amount of baby oatmeal in the morning and a jar vegetable at night. I just want to make sure she is getting enough. I should mention that because she has acid reflux the ped. wanted us to feed her less more often which is why it is 4oz every 2.5 to 3 hours.

Fre19

Asked by Fre19 at 9:28 PM on Feb. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• oooo okay i was about to say..id be feeding her about 6 oz or so. my sisters baby is 5 months and is 18 lbs. she gets 6 oz every couple of hrs and gets cereal in the morning and a jar of food in the afternoon and something at night. if ur baby is still having bad acid reflux u shuld keep doing that, but if she is still hungry (crying for more) after 4 oz u should def up the oz. maybe try it see how it works. or feed her 3 meals a day along with the 4 oz. just try diff things and see if she seems better. thats what i do.
    Keeely07

Answer by Keeely07 at 10:04 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• just feed her whenever she is hungry.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 10:35 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• as long as your baby is eating
    how much she eats is up to her.
    she needs it to grow and be a strong woman in the future.
    just watch what you feed her according to your dr
    (for example no acidic foods, ect)
    keep her on the eating a little bit every couple hrs because it's good for when they grow older
    weight issues wont be hard to deal with then.
    good luck though and unless her eating become worrisome for you or her then i would just feed her as much as she wants to eat :)
    DesignerMom0801

Answer by DesignerMom0801 at 10:52 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• My 5 mo.old also has reflux. he eats 7oz. every 3 hrs w/ 1/2 tblsp. rice cereal in each bottle and 1/2 jar satge 1 baby food w/ his mid morn. bottle and at bedtime. the rice in the bottle really helps w/ the reflux. He has had that since he was 2 wks old.
    float4girl

Answer by float4girl at 11:12 PM on Feb. 22, 2009