Would you rather see a male or female gyno?

I used to have a male for 12 yrs. now I see a female only because my dh had a problem with. So I swithched I have seen her for 2 years now but I really liked him. He was with us through the sad and happy times, I hate that my dh made me switch just because he feels insecure I only did it so we won't have an agrument.
so I just look at it like this ...just as long as I get my stuff checked yearly. It doesn't matter I guess. But.....If I was to switch back to him how would I go about it?
What would be a good reason? And of course not let my dh know, he makes me so mad sometimes. what would u ladies do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:29 PM on Feb. 21, 2009 in Health

• I prefer female... My reasoning is that a woman knows the "equipment better" LOL I had to see the back up OB while pregnant with my first... he was trying to tell me what contractions are... WTF! Like he knows!!!

but my SIL prefers males and her reasoning makes sense too. She said the males are gentler with the exams because they don't have the equipment and don't know what it feels like, she says the women are rougher since they "think" they know the limits...

Anonymous

• I'm on the fence about this one, I went to a female for years and she found nothing wrong by LOOKING, but when I went to a male he found something the very first visit. I am currently seeing another female because I switched when I was pregnant and I like how she treats her patients
    LuvsDanika

Answer by LuvsDanika at 9:35 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• Why does your hubby not want you to see him?? I had a guy my first I was uncomfertable with, then I had another guy when I had my first DD almost 4 yrs ago he was pretty good, but now I go to my one I go to now and I cannot amagin going to another dr he makes you feel so comfertable. My sister goes to him and she is very shy I wouldn't think in a million years she would go to a guy dr but she does and she is comfertable with him just like I am. My hubby even likes him.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 9:35 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• hmmm...well, it used to not matter to me until I had a female gyno. Now I would not want to go back! I think your hubby needs to get a grip. Your relationship with YOUR doctor is just that...YOURS!! Getting jealous over a pap smear is just about retarded. I would sneak if he still won't ease up on you. Getting the best, most comfortable care is what's important here...of course, this is all JMO. Good luck!
    MammaMia72

Answer by MammaMia72 at 9:35 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• I have done both. For my regular check ups I prefer a woman. When I was pregnant I preferred a male doctor, probably because I knew him and had him with all my kids. Now I will only use a woman because I'm more comfortable with them then men. Does that make sense?
    DazeDelights

Answer by DazeDelights at 9:40 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• i had a female for years and hated her. she was just rude, always acted like my yearly was an inconvenience for her. when i got pregnant she said she didnt have time for another pregnancy and refused to see me. I switched to male and like him so much more, he's great.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 10:00 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• I've seen both. My first experience was with a female. Then the following year I made my annual appt. and they said that my female doctor moved offices and if I wouldn't mind seeing Dr. K. I said sure, not knowing that it was a dude. I was only 19 years old and was scared out of my mind when he walked it. It didn't help that I thought he was kind of quick about it and didn't have that "bedside" manner. So I've seen females since then. Plus I find it a bit creepy taking female advice from a person that doesn't even have my "equipment"! :)
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 10:02 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• I refuse to see a male gyno for valid personal reasons - females only for me (as in gynos, that is...lol).
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 10:17 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• I had a female do the exams first.. because she was my family doctor.. until I got prego, then I had to see a real OB/GYN.. They had four different ones in the Office I went to.. the female wasn't available because she had taken the year off (SHE just had a baby, lol :))so I seen the first male doc.. and right off the bat didnt like him (later found out why I didn't like him... seems he's a frequent visiter and my uncle in laws "adult" store, as if he doesn't get to see enough of it all day!!).. then I seen the other Doctor.. and didn't like him either, he was short tempered and a bit of a prick.. finally the last doctor there, I got to see, and he was an amazing doctor.. made me feel comfortable, was nice, funny, love him. So just because you don't like this girl doc, doesn't mean you can't find another that you do :). Keep looking.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:20 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• it don't matter to me. i have had both. i had a guy ob for the pregnancy and a woman ob deliver since my guy was on vacation. my first gyn was a woman. my one right now is a woman but i really don't care cuz they are just looking around down there to see if anything is wrong. it isn't like they are getting their jollies doing that stuff all day.
    proudmama1207

Answer by proudmama1207 at 11:28 PM on Feb. 21, 2009