Need to change ADHD meds

We are using metadate and are up as high as we can go. It is not working at all any more. What is a good med that will work the same. We have a Dr apt in a week.

marvelgirl

Asked by marvelgirl at 9:31 PM on Feb. 21, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• never used that one...but have used several other ones including adderall and focalin and they would work for awhile and then quit after his body got used to them (2-4 wks) and took him to pediatrician and he switched him to STRATTERA and hes been on that almost 2 months now and its great! have no desire to change it now!! one side affect you may want to consider tho is in the first 1-2 weeks it will somewhat suppress their appetite. my son still ate just not as much so something to think about! good luck mama!
    jenny677823

Answer by jenny677823 at 10:45 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• my son also is one strattera and I too love it. We have been struggling for 3 years to find the right combo of meds and stattera is one. (He takes several due to addition problems)
    mndpfff

Answer by mndpfff at 1:31 AM on Feb. 22, 2009

• I meant additional sorry it is late and I am worried about my nephew who was in am accident today. not to quick on the up take I guess

mndpfff

Answer by mndpfff at 1:33 AM on Feb. 22, 2009

• My son started 7 months ago on Focalin XR 5mg. It has worked great for him. He recently upped to 10mg. Also had difficulty getting him to eat, until the evening when it started to wear off, then he'd eat everything in sight. His weight dropped about 3lbs in the beginning, but has now returned to a normal weight. Good Luck to you.
    Anonymous

• Just saw this now. Hope you all don't mind an answer with a question too. My son is on Metadate and it seems to be less effective now (on it for a year). But I've heard good things about focalin if its purely an attention issue vs. the hyper portion. I am curious to know if any of you whom have kids on metadate see the opposite side effect of the weight loss. My son has not lost any, and his appetite is the same. He is overweight and could stand to lose some!
    thanks..
    hollyone

Answer by hollyone at 7:54 PM on Feb. 28, 2009