Is it really damaging to wear hair "up"?

I am desperately trying to grow my hair out, but I live at the beach and my hair is frizzier than you can imagine. I don't shampoo every day, I use moisturizing conditioners, deep-condition at least once a week, and overall take very good care of my hair.

But any way my hair dries (natural or blow-dry) it is SO frizzy!! So I end up wearing it up a lot. (Usually twisted up in a clip.) Is it really damaging to do this? Will it hurt the growing-out process?

aliceryannesmom

Asked by aliceryannesmom at 9:33 PM on Feb. 21, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• in the last year I have grown my hair out to mid back... I wear it up a lot due to my toddlers... my hair is not damaged.. I think it has a lot to due with I only use Herbal Essences Long Term Relationship for long hair and I do not blow dry or use any hair products on my hair (no gel, mouse, hairspray, nothing) I also live at the beach so I totally know what you mean about the friz! LOL
    Anonymous

• i don't think it will hurt the growing out process too much, i have to wear my hair up in a bun every day for work. and it does cause a lot of breakage because of the wind and the pulling on the hair to keep it tight, but as long as i trim it every 6 weeks or so, it continues to grow and stay healthy so i would just keep doing what you are doing and every 6-8 weeks trim it just a little. it really does make your hair grow faster! but take off as little as possible, not even half an inch!
    december911

Answer by december911 at 9:37 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• No its not damaging, especially not a clip. Most damage comes from tight rubber bands.
    Anonymous

• BTW I have not even needed to trim any dead ends since using the Herbal Essences... :)

Trims are NOT necessary! they defeat the purpose actually, all you need is good shampoo and conditioner.
    Anonymous

• Wearing it up can cause breakage if you wear it too tight or at least thats what they tell you in cosmetology school. I wear mine up alot and tight because i don't like it to slip and don't have problems. Have you tried the Tigi Bed Head line for curly hair? Thats what i've seen work the best. As far as drying, have you ever tried a diffuser?
    kinzleysmommy

Answer by kinzleysmommy at 9:39 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• My hair is really damaged but I use rubber bands, which I know is not good, but it works well for me. I just use a lot of product to get the frizzies gone.
    Anonymous

• I used rubber bands which cause a lot of breakage! use a clip if you are gonna wear it up and you should be ok
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 9:41 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• A trim DOES NOT defeat the purpose. Its really common sense, if you dont get a trim you have breakage at the ends and you can keep the healthier hair that is new, instead of it just replacing what you are losing from the ends anyways... Some breakage can go up to 2 or more inches
    Anonymous

• Wearing it in a loose up doo I don't see why it would damage ur hair continue to do what u need to do to deal with this but at the same time get you a satin pillow case that will help your hair  from detaching from ur head. (while sleeping) I used to notice loose hair on my pillow cases and I switched over to satin and that helped alot.

But living on the beach I would definately were it in a bun or loose ponytail try leaving conditioner in ur hair for those dry windy days.happy

Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 9:51 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I switched from rubber bands to clips a few years ago and I do notice that I lose a lot less hair; my hair seems to stay pretty happy and healthy using the clips. I guess it's just a rude hairdresser who freaked me out...she berated me for "ruining my hair" by putting it up all the time. Of course I went to someone else who said my hair is incredibly healthy. So I think that first lady was just a you-know-what! haha

I feel like you guys have given me some great ideas to try. Thanks again!
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 10:02 PM on Feb. 21, 2009