My daughter just asked my hubby why does he have to go to war.

The other day she said she wants to go, so she can kill bad people that want to kill her daddy. This is going to be harder then I thought.

Buffie95

Asked by Buffie95 at 9:35 PM on Feb. 21, 2009 in Relationships

• You would think the military psychologists would tell parents what to say to their children since this happens all the time.
    Anonymous

• aww she will get through it. How old is she?
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 9:39 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• OMGsh, I have no idea what to say, except that is the saddest (and sweetest) thing a little girl could say. As a wife of a former marine, I hold the utmost respect for anyone that puts their lives on the line for us. Please thank UR hubby for all of us. Stay strong, momma!
    my2luvbugs

Answer by my2luvbugs at 9:40 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• She is 7. But she understands WAY more then other kids her age. She askes questions, so she learns. She was about a 18 months or so when he went to Korea. She was SOO angry when he came home. She knows a bit what he does, she knows why he is going. She is in school with only other military kids. I don't really want to talk about this stuff with someone face to face. It's taking all I got to now cry right now.
    Buffie95

Answer by Buffie95 at 9:56 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• so what? talk to her. if you cry you cry. people today tend to think freedom is free. it isn't. i'm sorry you have to go through this. i guess i'd tell my daughter that he was going to protect her and our country and that its important that he goes and that she should be very proud of him. he's her very own super hero.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 10:11 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• awww. i must say that is sooooo sad to hear. that really hits home. all the politicians need to touch base with things like this. here you have a little girl who just wants to fight so she can help her daddy. that really touched my heart. i really hope this is all over soon. what a shame
    BusyB-Mommy

Answer by BusyB-Mommy at 11:00 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• It's her daddy's job to keep her safe. to protect her. and he is giving the greatest sacrafice to ensure that she IS safe. Make sure she knows that, and that if she tried to follow daddy it would be the scariest thing for her daddy bc that would mean that she is not safe.
    That is a heart wrencher. just try to talk though it.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:51 AM on Feb. 22, 2009

• That's so sad.....I don't know what to say :-( I'd be heart broken
    Lizamafers

Answer by Lizamafers at 3:40 AM on Feb. 22, 2009

• So what? It's not that easy to just talk to her. So what if I cry? That makes things worse on military kids, to see their mom's cry because their dad's are gone. That just makes them more scared. My kids aren't the kind to act out in circumstances like this. They get very clingy, and very emotional. I don't know what's harder, the ones like this or the ones that act out.
    Buffie95

Answer by Buffie95 at 8:50 AM on Feb. 22, 2009

• I let my kids see me cry sometimes... they understand that I am sad and miss their daddy just like they do. It helps them know that expressing emotion is ok. My son has started acting out a little now but it isn't too bad. i hope things go well for you
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 9:51 AM on Feb. 22, 2009