11 month old son has a cold- he coughs so hard during dinner he threw up- like a gag reflex... anyone seen this before?

I've been doing the vaporizer, vapo-rub steam bath frustrating sick kid drill that the doctor told me to do, and I know these things just take time, etc... but tonight while I was feeding him dinner he started coughing and wound up gagging and vomiting up his food . I tried to feed him again 1 hour later and the same thing happened. I assume this is because his tummy was full and the cough unsettled everything, but should I be more concerned... like a bowel obstruction or something? I will take him back to the doctor on Monday if it continues, just wondering if anyone has had an experience like this? He has choked/thrown up during dinner before, like if he doesn't chew a teething biscuit all the way, etc. He's very active and completely fine-seeming in every way, and his bottle stayed put until I tried to top it off with solid food. At his last checkup the doctor said he was in great health and "definitely not starving".

hildev

Asked by hildev at 9:50 PM on Feb. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes, our little guy throws up anytime he gets congested. He can't cough it up, or get it down so he throws up. I stop solid food when he's sick. Push fluids to loosen the mucus, but not too much juice, it'll make his bottom red from the acid. I give him as much formula/milk that he will take so that he doesn't get dehydrated. Watch for a fever. You can give him Tylenol drops, ask your dr for the correct dosage according to his weight. Also, if the fever gets higher or you see he has trouble breathing, have him checked for Pneumonia (we had it). Your dr. might prescribe something for the cough/congestion. Also, prop his mattress up with a pillow to help him sleep better. I hope he gets better soon! And hold him often, nothing is better than "mommy making it better."
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 9:58 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• My son is 8 months old and currently has acold and ear infection and conjuctivitis and he has that problem. When he starts to cough too much after solids he throws up especially in the morning, but he has done the same thing in the past with previos colds he gets over it and get better, but if he vomits too much i would mention to pediatrition
    shames85

Answer by shames85 at 9:53 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• yes!!! take him to the dr. he could have RSV. my two neices had it along with bronchulitis. the dr gave them a nebulizer.

or it could be something totally different. like a virus. idk. take him to the dr
    Anonymous

• I have looked up RSV, and from what I can tell it doesn't seem likely. He hasn't had a fever during the cold, I check with oral and ear thermometer multiple times/day. When he was about 4 months he got a bad cold and the doc prescribed him so albuterol (the stuff that goes in the nebulizer), but he said that it's controversial to use it because it doesn't really do anything if the cold isn't asthma related. I still have the albuterol, but I don't want to use it because it's a stimulant and can be harsh for babies. He has been propped up at night, etc... I will heed the advice and stick to formula- I don't know why but I get nervous if he doesn't eat baby food, but like the doc said, he's definitely not going to go hungry. Thanks for the advice all.
    hildev

Answer by hildev at 10:20 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• mine do that because of the congestion...just think about what it's like when you have really bad congestion...you know, that post-nasal drip. i've even gagged from it myself, so i can definitely understand how it could make a baby throw up. my kids' congestion usually lasts 1 1/2 - 2 weeks. hang in there...i'm sure he's fine, but if you're really concerned just call the doc and ask.
    tstep972

Answer by tstep972 at 10:46 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• Yes, it happens. Havent you ever coughed so hard it makes u gag a little, like if you're really sick with a cold or something? I wouldn't worry too much about that. Poor little guy, I hope he gets to feeling better soon. My boys are getting over colds. :-(
    Rachell9503

Answer by Rachell9503 at 10:59 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• my kid dose it time to time it is for attention and it if dont get him to stop now he will do it more and more just tell him stop and eat. if he keeps it up then punish him ,but always make sure the food is small enough and that he is not choking on it. if all is a go then its do to the first thing. good luck .
    britneyzencka

Answer by britneyzencka at 11:06 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• We were just dealing with this exact same thing with my 6 month old daughter. I took her to the pediatrician and it turned out that she has bronchitis and a double ear infection. Since the symptoms had been going on for over a week they went ahead and prescribed an antibiotic and she improved 200% within the next couple of days.
    missbrinleysmom

Answer by missbrinleysmom at 11:13 PM on Feb. 21, 2009