what are some good ideas for this?

most of the time when i take a shower i put my daughter in her pack and play with toys. well she gets sick of it after awhile. my bathroom is upstairs. we have a balcony so it looks down on the entire living room, but i dont want to just leave her down there bc she culd pull up on something and fall and be screaming. omg that just scares me to think of it. and i cant block off the stairs because there is railing everywhere. i would put her in my room but my bed has harsh corners. ahhh idk what to do! i feel so bad when she gets upset and starts crying :( any advice??

Keeely07

Asked by Keeely07 at 9:51 PM on Feb. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• With my daughter, I just propped her up in her little baby tub and stuck her in the shower with me. Or, I put her in one of those little bouncing chair things and had that inside the bathroom. It's probably not a good idea to have her outside of the bathroom while you're showering; like you said she cries and could hurt herself.
    hgibsonorc

Answer by hgibsonorc at 9:53 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• have you tried to take your pack and play upstairs to your bathroom so you can look out and check on her? It depends on the age. When my daughter was really little i would put her in her swing in the bathroom then in a pack and play. Then she got old enough i could turn her cartoons on and she'd be fine.
    kinzleysmommy

Answer by kinzleysmommy at 9:55 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• well wait..forgot to mention she is 7 months old. been crawling for 2 months and is pulling up on things easily. i leave the bathroom door open. and the virbrating chair is not an option. shes too big for it. but i used to use it. her pack n play is right outside the bathroom btw
    Keeely07

Answer by Keeely07 at 9:56 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• i used a bouncy seat in my bathroom. Now that my daughter is too old for that, I either put her in the tub or shower with me, wait til naptime to bathe, or get up in the morning before she gets up.
    momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 9:57 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• i try to do it while she is sleeping but im always scared she will wake up. shes a light sleeper
    Keeely07

Answer by Keeely07 at 9:58 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• This may seem controversial, but I would drag the rainforest jumperoo and my laptop into my bedroom (where master bathroom is located a). I would put my son in the jumperoo and play a baby einstein video on my laptop- not too close, obviously, but the Mozart or Bach video is 18 minutes or so, long enough to shower and get dressed. That usually works as long as he has been fed/changed/cuddled, etc. sufficiently. Let it be known that I agree Baby Einstein is not a babysitter, but a couple of times a week for necessary situations (shower, sex, a healthy snack) is fine with me.
    hildev

Answer by hildev at 10:02 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• hildev thats a great idea!!! hahaha i love it
    Keeely07

Answer by Keeely07 at 10:05 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• Can you take him in the shower with you? It is not all that fun, but it saves some worry...
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 10:09 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• Can you babyproof the bathroom and bring her in? My son sits in our bathroom with me when I take a shower. He has a little backpack that he fills with toys and plays with them while I'm washing. You need to lock your toilet and any under sink cabinets but you get a shower and you little one is entertained. Also a good time to work on body parts. You can make up songs about the E's in Knees and the I in thigh (okay stole that one from Sesame Street)

chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 10:24 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• I have railing for one sections of my stairs. When my dh started crawling up the stairs, I taught him how to crawl down them. I didn't want him falling down the stairs just because he wanted to go down them. Depending on the material used for the banister, if they are wood, you could put up netting to keep your LO from falling through the banister. You might consider putting her in a walker while you are doing things around the house. Your daughter wouldn't be able to fall on something with sharp corners, then.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 2:05 AM on Feb. 22, 2009