what kind of meals can i make that don't require refrigeration or heating?

my son goes to daycare and all i make him for lunch is peanut butter and jelly what other meals out there can i make that don't need to be kept cold or heated up

loved_one2006

Asked by loved_one2006 at 10:09 PM on Feb. 21, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I send the Jif peanut butter cups with apple slices, or crackers, sometimes just with celery sticks. I have this cool little ice thing that looks like a bottle cap. You freeze it then put it in the lunch box..it keeps things cool.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:20 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• Daycare doesn't have a refrigerator for the children's lunches? I never thought about it. I guess for the sake of variety to get one of those ice things like grneyedgrandma suggested or other little freezer packs, they have small ones that only cost a dollar or two. Also there are lunch boxes with slots that hold a freezer pack. Back to your question. I wonder if that pre-wrapped cheese sticks- mozarella? I've seen them in the store, would last that long, how about cheese pieces? Nuts are high in protein. So nuts, fruits, raw vegetable sticks, muffins, alternated from day to day with PB&J. I hesitate to say dried fruits and raisins since they stick to the teeth and the sugars can cause cavities- so unless daycare has the children brush their teeth then dried fruits may not be a good idea.

Answer by Bmat at 10:29 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• Peanut butter and banana is delicious. You could also do lunch meat as long as you have an insulated lunch box with the freezer pack.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 10:50 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• Great trick - freeze regular yogurt cups (don't use the sugar free or light ones, they come out horrible defrosted, make sure they're the regular ones like red label Yoplait). When you pack the lunch in the morning, they'll keep things cool, and defrost just enough to be eaten at lunch. If you use a brown bag instead of a lunch box, wrap the yogurt in plastic or a baggie so you don't get condensation. Also think about getting a wide-mouth thermos. You can use them for anything hot or cold and not have to worry about heating or refrigeration. If you're packing something hot, pour boiling water in the thermos for a minute to pre-heat it, dump it, then put the hot food in. If it's cold, do the reverse - fill it with cold water, set it in the freezer for 60 seconds, dump and add the cold stuff.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:09 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• NotPanicking has some great ideas that I'm going to use for my daughter!
    With my daughters lunches i tried freezing a juice box, because somebody said it keeps food cold and is thawed by lunchtime..not true!
    I do use a insulated lunch bag and don't make sandwiches with mayo or miracle whip. It spoils easy. my daughter is older but I do alot of salads, pieces of fruit and snack bars
    But yeah I love the thermos idea and I think I will be sending DD off with alot of leftovers now!
    Oh I just thought about this but with the thermos you can make a macoroni,peas, tuna salad. Little kids love that stuff! or just plain macoroni in a zip lock. I saw one mom do that and the little boy loved it!
    Anonymous

• freeze a juice box. It will keep the food cold and by lunch time will be thawed enough to drink.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 1:50 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Okay to clear this up don't freeze the juice box until it's frozen solid. I too made that mistake.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 2:29 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• I used to freeze my kids juice boxes and they would be thawed by their lunch time. They were always frozen solid but I used the smaller juicy juice ones so they probably thawed a little faster. My kids always liked to have things like carrots, celery sticks, and sugar snap peas with the individual containers of Ranch that don't have to be refrigerated (not sure where you can buy them now, I havent in a few years), fruit salad, frozen GoGurt (freeze them solid like the juice boxes and they will thaw by lunch time but still be good to eat), granola bars, cereal bars, those little packages of Tostitos nachos that comes with the cheese dip and the chips and all you do is peel back the cover and eat it. There's a lot out there, you just have to be creative.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 4:06 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• If he will be eating with-in 4 hours you are good with any number of foods that will taste good at room temp. whatever he will eat!
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 11:55 AM on Feb. 23, 2009