Do you think some people dislike others based on what Political party they support?

Do you think once two people disagree on a political issue or political party affiliation some people hold it against another person or example, at work. why? How can we resolve this issue?

I believe you should be careful who you discuss politics with. If you don't agree with some people they tend to treat you different. especially in the work place. I choose not to disclose/discuss political parties/issues with my co-workers because it may damage me and some people have very STRONG opinions at my work place.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:53 PM on Feb. 21, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• What's that old saying..."In civilized company, never discuss religion or politics." Or something like that haha. But yeah, I think I personally get treated differently because I'm a democrat. It's sad that that's all some people see me as, but whatever. I have more important things to worry about.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:56 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• Of course the do, just like people get treated differently for what religion they practice (or don't), what kind of car they drive, how many people in their house have jobs or even how many kids they have. We're one heck of a generalizing and judgmental species.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:59 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• i only discuss politics around very close friends and family. All my friends have the same religious/political views as me, so its not a problem. I have very strong opinions on both and do sometimes come off to strong on my views. I try to keep politics out of work. And i must sadly admit that there have been times when i have held it against ppl for disagreeing with me, but thankfully Im working through it and growing up.
    alexsmomma06

Answer by alexsmomma06 at 11:06 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• Yes the def. do without a doubt.... people who are with different parties have different views on things....

i was always told two things you never talk about religion and politics
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 11:09 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• Politics is a great topic of interest to me so its hard not to discuss it and yes it has come between friendships. For example I volunteered on the Obama campaign in my township. This girl I met elsewhere and I were becoming friends and stayed pretty good friends while I was doing that even though her politics were different. When Obama won she totally changed and I don't hear from her anymore.Mind you I never gloated or even brought it up, it was her decision. On the other hand there are some folks I have encountered with just as strong views as I have but on a different side of things that I myself have chosen not to pursue a friendship with. I don't dislike them or think I'm better than them. I don't think I'm better than anyone but I can see up front how our differing views would get in the way. For me its a part of who I am so I don't mind that it might get in the way. Much like someone who is deeply religious I guess.
    Lybbie

Answer by Lybbie at 11:13 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• I don't talk politics at work. At least not where the guests can hear me! That's where your tips go right down the drain. . .
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:31 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• People dislike others for any number of stupid reasons. Political party is just one of them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:01 AM on Feb. 22, 2009

• lol, this is why I never discuss politics at work or places like that.. it only starts fights.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:44 AM on Feb. 22, 2009

• here's what my momma taught me: "There are three things you should never bring up in polite discussion: sex, politics, and religion."
    dangit, that's what i LOVE to discuss! I learn so much more about myself and folks in general whenever talking about these things, because it has a way of solidifying or changing views. to me it is an exciting growing process. however, at work and school, and often with family, is not appropriate, because of the strain it creates.
    I have in-laws and extended family that believe the complete opposite in what i do when it comes to politics. my MIL and i got into one little argument, and we both realized it just wasn't worth it. I have a liberal friend that is the sweetest most supportive guy in the world, and we still have civil political discussions. it's difficult when there's big issues concerning government to NOT have strong opinions, because the consequences can be detrimental to our nation
    chickenhobbit

Answer by chickenhobbit at 2:33 AM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Yeah some people will hold it against others. It's not good to do that at all. The only think that irritates me is when people try to take it too far.
    SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 2:47 AM on Feb. 22, 2009