How much should a dad on ssi/ssd be required to pay for child support?

I am on disability for a work-related injury. My baby's father is on ssd and ssi. I get a stipend check for my daughter from my disability claim, but her father is not able to get any sort of children's stipend.

Here's my question: should he be expected to contribute money for child support? He says if I take him to court, he will fight it all the way. He wants to give me money under the table, but for the month of February, he only gave me $20.

How much do you think he should contribute? He probably receives about $600 in benefits, has no car, doesn't pay rent (lives with mother and she pays rent). He has money to buy expensive electronics and such, however.

Please no judgements. He is definitely disabled, so I'm not saying he is milking the gov't. I just want to know if he should be contributing more than $20/month to help with out 7 month old baby.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:14 PM on Feb. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You can take him to court but they won't order him to pay anything. My son's father was on ssi and they told me unless he got a job I wasn't getting any support. I had to wait until he died before I got something out of him.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 11:20 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• I really doubt you could get much (if anything) either. BUT... (my mom's disabled & living on SSI --- which is how I know)... there is a limit as to how much value all his stuff can have. Could be hard to prove esp if he's using cash, but if you can keep track of his assets, and they get over a certain amount (be it a car or stereos or big tv or whatever), they will make him sell them. That's the thing with SSI --- it's looked at as a loan, not a hand-out. He can't accumulate assets & everything that's his is expected to be sold upon his death to pay back the gov't.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 11:27 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• My mom tried to take my dad to court to get support for me. But he didnt have to pay bc he got disability. If I was you I wouldnt let your babys dad know that. I would just tell him that if he starts giving $50-$75 a week then you wont take him to court. Thats what I would do.
    amygirl23

Answer by amygirl23 at 11:31 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• This post is reason enough to get an order of support with the court.
    snaprcat1

Answer by snaprcat1 at 5:20 AM on Feb. 22, 2009