why is it some parents let thier kids do things to them that they would punch a stranger in the face for doing?

i just don't get it. they let thier kids spit on them, yell at them, break their stuff, be rude and disrespectful, threaten them...the list goes on and on. why would you allow your child to treat you this way? are you really that scared of social services? when did the kids start dictating how they would behave? i'm not bashing, just asking.

princezzmommie

Asked by princezzmommie at 11:14 PM on Feb. 21, 2009 in General Parenting

• something happened at my house tonight with this situation but I am not afraid of anyone knocking on my door. My 10 yr old got mad because he could not go somewhere at 9. I told him why and he was not happy but hey, he got over quick. My kids WILL NOT mistreat me and if he spit on me, they would call more than CPS.
    I am fortunate not to have disrespectful kids. I have raised and I am raising my kids to be respectful. I agree with you on this post. I do not understand why some parents let their kids treat them like crap.
    JLynn0871

Answer by JLynn0871 at 11:26 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• My son hits on occasion, but he has autism. He gets a time out. He also hits himself, spits on window and then licks it, and does a bunch of other odd stuff. I let him do it because he has a developmental delay, and he truly can't help it. He is in therapy, and we have a behavior plan, and he is getting MUCH better, but I am sure there are days people just figure he's a little brat or a weirdo.
    Trixiebelle2

Answer by Trixiebelle2 at 11:28 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• Parents want to be their kids friend, I have made it clear to my boys that I'm their Mom, I love them but I'm NOT their friend!!! I demand respect and I stay consistent... I think thats the key.
    Anonymous

• more moms should spank
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 11:52 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• trixiebelle, i definitely did not mean situations like yours. no way. just like a while back we were in walmart and my son spit in my face. right between the eyes. i didn't even mean to do it, didn't think about it, just slapped his face. this old man told me i should be ashamed of myself. told me this, mind you, while my son's spit was dribbling down my nose. i don't understand that. my post was actually one in response to something someone else here had said about their kids behavior tonight.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 11:57 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• Moms need to be moms. Plain and simple. My kids know better if they even suck their teeth at a decision my Husband or I make. I let them know quick. I am not your friend and will not be your friend. I am your mother and what I say goes. If you don't like it then get the hell out. Don't mean to be mean about it but my son is 11 and right now he is up to my shoulder with height so before he start feeling himself and think he can do something he will know his momma is crazy and not to play games. I do wonder the samething though cause the other day I was in the store and heard this little girl tell her mother to shut up and just pull the car around because she didn't feel like walking to the car. The mother just walked out the store and brought the car around as her daughter told her. Me not minding my business I kindly said "I guess we know where your daughter will end up in 10 years" and to bad if she didn't like it.
    mommatime78

Answer by mommatime78 at 12:02 AM on Feb. 22, 2009

• some people just don't know how to handle a child who behaves that way.
    what's worse, some are not even open to learning how to parent a child who behaves that way.
    and no, spanking isn't always the answer.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 1:01 AM on Feb. 22, 2009

• here's my problem. I was in the middle of raising my 3 girls when I met my hubby. My girls were raised BY ME and ONLY ME..they had structure and love and consquences to their actions.
    Now my 4 yr old has a push over for a dad, and if my son even cry's! hubby is mad, because somehow his boy is crying.
    I hate it! by day my son gets routine and disipline when needed. by night he's wild because dad's home and dad is a prick and feels his son should do as he pleases.
    And my 3 girls are like "MOM!! WE WOULD HAVE NEVER GOTTEN AWAY WITH HALF THE STUFF DYLAN DOES!!" they are right but I have to keep the waters calm........
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 1:59 AM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Our government has made parents afraid to discipline their kids, spank your kid or put soap in their mouth and we will take your kids away for abuse. It's time to wake up people, these things are not abuse. I had a cop in Nevada tell me he could throw me in jail for abuse (I flicked my son in the head) I told him when he feeds, clothes and puts a roof over his head then he could tell me how to discipline until then he needed to mind his own business. I will discipline my kids how I see fit, I am not their friend, they have enough of those. I know my kids will grow up respectful.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 10:39 AM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Answered at 11:52 PM on Feb. 21, 2009 by: lstrickland
    more moms should spank

I AGREE
    kyheavensmom

Answer by kyheavensmom at 6:52 PM on Feb. 22, 2009