Inducing Labor?

I am having a lil girl. My due date is on March 22 and my doctor asked me on my last ob appt if I wanted to be induced on March 17. Would this be a good idea or no. What are the good and bad things that come with inducing labor. Is it a good idea.

CherishFaith

Asked by CherishFaith at 11:17 PM on Feb. 21, 2009 in Pregnancy

• it all depends on you and your baby's health in my opinion. 5 days isn't really that much and you're going to feel like a blimp at that time anyway, i know i do lol
    pringles_697

Answer by pringles_697 at 11:20 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• being induced is harder and more painfull than going into labor on your own
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 11:21 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• Depends on how you feel about it. A lot of women will tell you it's NEVER a good idea to get induced unless you are in a serious medical situation. If you feel safe doing that then it would be your choice. You never have to get induced unless you are in some kind of medical situation. There are some risks such as needing a c section because of being induced, and the baby also could not be fully developed. If I were you I would talk more to your OB and see what they say about the pros and cons, or you could look up some info on the internet. The choice is up to you.
    pinkbutterfly

Answer by pinkbutterfly at 11:21 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• If there is no medical reason, then this would be elective: adding risks where you & baby don't otherwise have any.
    Moms must ask all their questions and get full answers to make educate, well-rounded decisions. I suggest that you start investigating the risks and see if this still sounds appealing.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:22 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• The good thing is, you won't have to wait for your due date, and you'll have your precious little one here really soon, and you might have a St. Patrick's Day baby =) The bad thing is, inducing could take a while, if you aren't already progressing. Good luck on making the decision =)
    Anonymous

• Being induced hurts like 100x more than just letting things happen when they happen. I was induced with older dd because of medical reasons and man oh man it was horrible. Labor with my younger dd was a cake walk compared to it.
    LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 11:42 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• My advice to you is, wait it out, let your body go into labor on it's own, that's when your baby is ready to come out!!! You should only get induced if you have a medical problem or something's wrong with the baby. If it's not necessary, you can go as long as 42 weeks pregnant. I wish I waited it out. I got induced at 40 weeks and 2 days pregnant, but, I was having pain and bleeding bright red blood (not mucus plug) so.... I ended up with a c-section. Don't let you doctor convince you into inducing unless it's medically necessary.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 11:53 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• I would say a big fat NO. Unless there is a medical necessity for inducing, I would let nature take its course esp with first children, they are sometimes late. IMO it is selfish to induce for your own personal comfort! You are evicting your baby!! Not a good way to enter the world! :/

Seven07

Answer by Seven07 at 12:05 AM on Feb. 22, 2009

• congrats. My mom's birthday is the 22 then my sisters and grandpas birthday is the 17 lol. I have 2 DD's and I was induced with both of them I didn't have a problem with it. My oldest was on her due date and my other was at 39 weeks. I had cervidel with my first and patocin with my second. I achually didn't feel non of my contractions until my water broke not even with patocin. I would rather be induced. They asked me both times I said most defentatly.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 12:23 AM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Unless there is a medical reason i would not do it. over 40% of inductions end up in c-section and i would never take that risk unless i had no choice..also induced labor is much harder on you and the baby.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 12:40 PM on Feb. 22, 2009