is there any single moms out there that went to a 4 year college and did it on their own?

i want to go to college so bad...but my parents cant help me. so i will be applying for loans and stuff by myself.

how did it workout for you?

Keeely07

Asked by Keeely07 at 11:17 PM on Feb. 21, 2009 in Money & Work

• I was single and in college. I got grants and loans that I was able to pay for my school expenses and living expenses. I had to work at least 10 hours per week in order to get my daycare assistance. It was tough, but if you want it bad enough you can do it!
    sassyhettel

Answer by sassyhettel at 11:29 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• if you have a child you file your fasfa as independent and you don't have to put your parent info on there. as long as your expected family contribution is low enough you will qualify for the Federal Pell Grant. There are other grants I think that you could try for as well. Also go to fastweb.com to search for scholarships. There are ways to do it, but it is hard. I am trying to go back to school this summer. I am finally able to get some real aid, but I already have so many student loans I don't want anymore...so i am going to have to figure it out without loans.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 11:52 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• oh, if you have any other questions or want more info, feel free to send me a message and I will try to help. education is so important in bettering yourself and providing for you and your baby.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 11:53 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• i am a single parent and have done it on my own. ill graduate in december with a degree in nutritional sciences and then im going to grad school. go to www.fafsa.com and fill out the info. since you have a child you are independent and dont have to lists your parents financial info. more than likely youll be able to get grants to pay for all or most of your school.  if you have any other questions or want to talk pm me.

Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 12:23 AM on Feb. 22, 2009

• My mom was a full time student, full time business woman and full time mom.Now she is successful,happy and reaping the rewards.Where there is a will,there is a way.Apply for student loans and work hard.Anyone can make it in America.
    sweetest-sin7

Answer by sweetest-sin7 at 12:40 AM on Feb. 22, 2009

• I'm a full time student and mother to two. I go to a 4 year university.
    Start out with filling out your FAFSA - do it now becasue they do run out of funds. Make sure you know what you want to go to school for and talk to a counselor get a list of all the classes you need and the order you have to take them in. If you don't know what you want to study i suggest you wait until you do before you start school. You don't want to waste time and money on classes you won't end up needing. If you know your program make connections with teachers and apply for scholarships when you can.
    You also need to get your kids signed up for the college daycare. I signed up my kids but there is a 2 year waiting list, so get on that asap as well.
    After that take the classes at the best time for you, it might take you longer than a student without kids, but it will be well worth it in the end If i can do it anyone can, good luck!
    Anonymous

• I did this as a single mom of 3 and it was rough but worth it in the end. I went to a small liberal arts college and got an elementary ed degree. On the up side being poor helped me get so many grants I had to take only a few loans.
    Anonymous