Babies and cats????

My prob is w fiance's cats... When we met he had two cats he had for a couple years. I hate cats--sorry, but I do. Hes known this since we started dating, but we moved in together a year ago anyway, under the condition that he'd be really vigilant about the cat hair, smells, etc. He promised me I "wouldn't be able to tell we had cats." So I agreed, and even grew to accept them. But now, living with them has been way worse than I ever thought. There is cat hair EVERYWHERE. Its stuck to seemingly every surface in my home. I wipe off a counter, & there are hairs stuck to it again. I even find hairs in my food! I'm due to deliver in two weeks and can't bear the thought of hair on my baby's bottles, clothes, blankets, etc! The cats even vomit on the carpet weekly, and I'm imagining my baby eating cheerios off that floor and I just cringe!! When I ask him, he promises he'll do more to maintain the cats, but he doesnt. WHAT DO I DO?

Tylersm0m

Asked by Tylersm0m at 11:26 PM on Feb. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Cat hair is a nuisance, however cat's are not dangerous to healthy babies. It does sound like you need to change cats foods, look for something high quality with some form of meat as the first ingredient, that should help with the puking, and maybe even some of the shedding.  Ban the cats from the baby room, get a good vaccume, and keep a lint roller handy.Also be sure to trim your cat's nails often.

http://cats.about.com/cs/catmanagement101/a/newbabyandcat.htm

http://www.messybeast.com/cat_baby.htm

http://www.shadowcats.net/educate/cats_and_babies.pdf

Cassieniccole

Answer by Cassieniccole at 3:22 AM on Feb. 22, 2009

• First off it's not good to have a new born around cats period because they have a bacteria in the poop that can cause your baby to become very sick if the baby ever gets it in the mouth. No I dont mean actually eating the poop I mean the cat has it on there paws and touch the baby and then the baby puts whatever the cat touches in there mouth. Besides that there are more allergies to cats in infants then any other animal and that alone could cause problems. I would inform him they need to go until the baby is atleast a year old then maybe just maybe he can get more cats.
    Thats just me though
    TristansMommy16

Answer by TristansMommy16 at 11:52 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• go online. look up porvo. show him what you find. babies die from that. its not a problem if the house is properly maintained and all. so show him what you find and make sure he understands this can happen.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 11:53 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• i agree with the first poster. also i had a cat in the house when i brough my son home ( i did clean up after the cat though) but had to get rid of him because he would not leave my son alone. everytime i turned around he was trying to get in the crib with him or in the swing with him or lay in the floor with him. it just made me nervous and i wasnt about to lose a son to a darn cat!
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 12:18 AM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Actually the bacteria you are talking about is toxoplasmosis and it is only carried in outdoor cats who eat rodents....that is why they test you for it when you are pregnant if you have cats. I have 2 cats and 2 dogs that shed badly. I just vacuum constantly and use sticky rollers. However, the animals are not allowed in our room or the babies room. An in response to princessmommie its PARVO and chances are if an animal has it, it will either be VERY sick or already dead. Animals don't live long with parvo. They are vaccinated against that. OP-aside from just hating the cats, if they are indoor cats, they are very clean and just keep them away from the baby. As far as the hair goes, I just use a spray bottle and keep them off the counter and they know not to go up there. I cover the clean bottles that I have jst washed with a towel and do the best I can.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 12:21 AM on Feb. 22, 2009

• cont....its really not fair for you to ask your fiancee to get rid of them especially since he already had them. My DH doesn't care for the cats but we/ve had them for 10 years so he knows theyre not going anywhere.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 12:22 AM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Also,,,if you have your baby around the cats after the first few months, it actually helps build their immunity to getting allergies...your pedi will tell you the same thing b/c I asked mine. And cats are NOT dangerous to babies. Just don't let him in the crib.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 12:23 AM on Feb. 22, 2009