Is this considered stalking or harrassment?

I am currently trying to get an ex-friends boyfriend thrown in prison for theft. I have since started to pull background arrest records on anyone in my life so I can make an educated desicion about who is in my children's life. I have since found out that this ex-friend was arrested and plead guilty for prostatution as well as petty theft. She is now a volunteer for the girl scouts. The boy scouts don't pull any checks unless you are a volunteer so I can't do anything about him having an arrest for kidnapping and sexual assult but what about her? The way I see it is she could easily steal from them but my hubby said it would be considered harrassment but I dont think so. If it is public record how can it be harrassment? it is a fact and if I was in the girl scouts, I would want to know who is handleing the money, products and around my children. What do you think? Would you report it as a tip?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:41 PM on Feb. 21, 2009 in Kids' Health

• idk but dang i would hate to be that ex friend. that girl must have screwed ya ova/
    Anonymous

• i dont think its harassment, it is public record.  i also dont think its any of your business.

Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 11:48 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• How long ago was she arrested? Maybe she was in a really bad place in her life. I'd hate to get on your bad side, sounds like you just want some revenge.
    Anonymous

• Tough call. Kind of sounds to me like you've got a vandetta out on these people --- they must've really screwed you over.

Just on the info you've given --- I think I'd just let it go. I have no clue what the circumstances of their arrests were or when they occured. "Kidnapping & assult" could mean snatching a woman from a parking lot or a 17 yr old running away with his 15 yr old gf. Same with her -- the story behind those charges could be almost anything.

To me... it's the scouts' responsibility to know who is in their organization & the parents' responsibility to make sure they know who they're entrusting their kids to. I'm really surprised they don't research this sort of thing.

Instead of using the scouts to get at these people specifically, I think I'd be more concerned with bringing awareness to the fact that the scouts don't check on people in general.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 11:53 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• I think you should make a call to the person in charge of the scouts. Anyone can get the info, so your in the clear and i don't think it is so much that you are out to get them as it is your worried about the kids. I would definitely let them know and you could always have someone else call so no one knows you are the one that provided the info.
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 12:02 AM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Remind me not to piss you off.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 1:53 AM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Personally, I would leave her alone. She has already been arrested and punished for it. Her charge does not imply that she is dangerous. She doesn't molest kids. She doesn't abuse people. She wasn't found guilty for armed robbery. People make bad choices. People learn. People change. Or maybe she was in a bad situation. Who knows. But give her a chance to get back to her life. She deserves a second chance. It is the scout's responsibility to know those things. If you don't like it, pull your kid out. I don't think it is harassment to look at records, but I do not think it's very nice to turn people's life upside down based on their past errors. Especially if they don't seem to be repeating their past mistakes.
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 1:28 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• I am a girl scout leader and we have to pay $10 for our own background check. she may not be a registered helper...but girl scouts do background checks.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 10:14 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• I would leave an anomyous tip.
    Anonymous

• It is public record, so it can't be considered stalking, but I do think that going out of your way to inform the scouts of PAST mistakes is harassing them. I say this because you're obviously doing this with spiteful and malicious intent.
    Anonymous