Is my 2 1/2 month old growing like she should be?

I had a DD who is 2 1/2 months old and is breastfed. Breastfeeding did not work out well at all with my DS who is 2 yrs old, but my DD has not skipped a beat from day one! She was 8'7" when she was born and dropped down to 7'1" in her first week and a half. It has taken her a long time to regain to her birth weight - 1 1/2 mos, and she is now just barely over 9 lbs. She is happy, content, eats well when she is hungry and sleeps all night and has almost since birth. She has all of the right numbers of dirty and wet diapers, almost never fusses, but I am worried about her weight. Every day, anyone and everyone who sees my DD comments on how tiny she is and they wonder if she is gaining enough or getting enough to eat. I am very aware that breastfeeding is more a confidence game than almost anything else, and these people are wearing my confidence level down. Can ANYONE assure me my daughter is not too small or underfed?

melliehodges

Asked by melliehodges at 11:57 PM on Feb. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No worries. My daughter was/is the same way. When she was 3 months she was a little over 8 pounds. She is now 7 months and is almost 14 pounds. Everyone tells me how tiny she is all the time. My doctor keeps telling me that I just have a petite little girl. Since my DD has the right number of dirty diapers and wet ones he says that there is nothing to worry about. As long as your DD is pooping and peeing and not fussy then she is probablly just fine. My pediatrician is so funny because every time I tell him I am worried about how tiny she is he just tells me that being petite is cute and not a health problem.
    missbrinleysmom

Answer by missbrinleysmom at 12:08 AM on Feb. 22, 2009

• as long as shes happy, not always hungry, shes fine. some kids are just smaller than others.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 12:08 AM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Your daughter sounds very similar to mine. Ava started at 8.1 and then dropped to 6.10 by coming home. It took her until 3 full months to reach 9.5 pounds. Don't worry- as long as she seems happy and full she is totally ok :)
    AvaHarpersMommy

Answer by AvaHarpersMommy at 12:43 AM on Feb. 22, 2009

• A pound a month is all we're looking for...she's there. You're doing fine.

Weight is a very minor marker compared to dipes (what goes in MUST come out) and MILESTONES. If those latter two are not in place, THEN look at the weight...and ONLY then.

She's fine. Relax.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:07 AM on Feb. 22, 2009

• How many times in 24 hours does she breastfeed? Most babies need to nurse a minimum of 8-12 times in 24 hours to get enough. Since her weight gain is so low (it is below normal) you may want to consider encouraging her to nurse more frequently during the day if she is not already eating that much. Check out How might I increase baby's weight gain? at http://kellymom.com/babyconcerns/growth/weight-gain_increase.html

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:40 AM on Feb. 22, 2009

• It sounds like she's doing fine! Remember that poop is the extra stuff she didn't need, meaning you're making enough for her to have leftovers! =) It's so easy to get discouraged, and people often forget how vulnerable parents are when it comes to our kids. Hang in there, and as long as your daughter is happy and peeing and pooping, try not to let anyone get you down.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:40 AM on Feb. 23, 2009