six year old with the croup

My 6 year old came down with influenza b and the croup. It was so bad that she was put in ICU overnight she was also close to having to be intubated. Has anyone else ever had to deal with the croup so severly and how long will it take her to get all better She still seems a lil pooped but she is def. much better than she was a few days ago.

MAMAOF2ANGELS

Asked by MAMAOF2ANGELS at 12:00 AM on Feb. 22, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Croup stinks. We dealth with respiratory issues from age 3-4 and this year 5 she has almost completely grown out of what was diagnosed as juvenile asthma. We went 18 solid months with what I would describe as a SEVERE chest cold. In and out of hospital, emergency, ped office, pulmonologist, etc. When we took her off the all of the meds-albuterol, pulmocort, adviar, etc etc. She got better. keep the room damp with cool mist, and no milk or dairy. Makes the cough worse. Thats about it for us. Seemed like she slept better during the day 1/2 propped up. Just got over a bout of croup two weeks ago. Hang in there it will get better. 1 more thing! BE BOLD WITH MOMS AND OTHER KIDS> if their kids are sick, tell them to keep them away! (even if they get mad at you) If she has had croup she will probably get it again.
    chucks1girl

Answer by chucks1girl at 9:39 AM on Feb. 22, 2009

• My kids (1 or all of them) always seem to come down with croup...but never that severely. My 3 year old was in the ER with it last Christmas, but came home.

Croup alone is at it's worse for the first 3-5 days. Then it's a matter of getting over a regular cold. Combined with the flu, though....I don't know. I would talk with the doctor.

My two youngest now have asthma from having had RSV and a family history of asthma.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:40 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• I am sorry I dont have any words of wisdom for you............just wanted to give you a "hug". How scary this must of been for both yourself and your little girl. I hope that she gets well very quickly. Try to take care of you................
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 2:52 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Thank you so much for your replies. She is doing alot better now. Tomorrow she has her follow up and I have ALOT of questions so I hope her DR. is prepared lol.
    MAMAOF2ANGELS

Answer by MAMAOF2ANGELS at 12:25 AM on Feb. 24, 2009