Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New custody/child support agreement - is there a catch?

So, my husband asked his ex-gf to work with him on child support. We have a newborn and child support would be adjusted if he takes her back to court. He asked if she would agree to no child support either way (he has her for just under 50% of the time) since both parents provide for her at their respective homes. They would then split the cost of everything else (prior agreement of both parents required) 50/50 - like medical co-pays, preschool, etc. They haven't put anything in writing yet, but she's agreed verbally. It seems like it was a little too easy - she's basically giving up close to $400/month which is quite a shock to us. We're wondering if there's a catch or if there's something we're not thinking about. Any ideas?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 12:31 AM on Feb. 22, 2009 in General Parenting

Answers (7)
  • Maybe she knows that she would get way less if taken back to court, like maybe she is making more money than your husband. I know DH's ex would have had her CS cut in half, at least, if she had tried to take us back to court because she was making more money than when the order was put in place.

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:11 AM on Feb. 22, 2009

  • Save your receipts

    Answer by snaprcat1 at 4:50 AM on Feb. 22, 2009

  • I would get in it writing or it will backfire later on you all.

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:14 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

  • anything he buys her...can be child, shoes....etc. my husband and i have a $1000 monthly child support and we just buy the kids stuff they need..anything from cloths to school if we buy it we send it to the child support place and they count it as a payment! so even if she backs out on that he can still do it and it will count!


    Answer by woobie102 at 5:54 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

  • if there is a current court order no matter what u agree on if she desides she wants that $$ she can take him to court for non payment of the current order.

    Answer by mommymeg03 at 7:31 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

  • Okay have it in writing and spelled out, do it with an attyn and/or mediator and make sure to file it in court. Spell out what 50/50 means. She just may be being cool, you and hubby know her, is she trouble type or chill. Just cause your an ex doesn't mean that you are unreasonable, there are some incredible blended families around here where all the moms and dads work toghether to do what is best for ALL the children whether biologically there's or not.

    Answer by MamiJaAyla at 8:29 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

  • child support doesn't get lowered just because he has another child. It is based off of income. You are going to want to get this agreement put through court so that she can't get back on her word and end up taking him to court for lots of money.

    Answer by heatherann0221 at 12:41 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.