What is a good age to put them into a big girl bed?

Briannamommyof3

Asked by Briannamommyof3 at 12:42 AM on Feb. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• 15 months maybe~ depends if they are climbing out of their crib.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:51 AM on Feb. 22, 2009

• We put the boys in regular beds at 15 months. They were hitting the height limit on the crib. They never tried to climb out.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:43 AM on Feb. 22, 2009

• my daughter is 20 months and still in her crib. she hasn't even attempted to climb out and I am hoping I can wait until we move in June to get her a big girl bed. She loves her crib and will play in there when she wakes up. sometimes she doesn't even want out when I come to get her. But if your child is climbing out then it is definatly time to get a big bed
    newmom530

Answer by newmom530 at 9:23 AM on Feb. 22, 2009

• This sounds nutty but my daughter began walking at about 10 months. We had a two story home and since she NEVER slept in her own bed we put a toddler bed in her room at about 12 months. She LOVED it. Began sleeping in it immediately, although it was a few months of walking her back to her bed in the middle of the night. I put up a gate and let her try it. Worked fantastic!
    chucks1girl

Answer by chucks1girl at 9:25 AM on Feb. 22, 2009

• We put my son into his toddler bed at about 18 months. We might have done it earlier, except we were cosleeping. But when we tried to move him from our bed to the crib, he started diving out of it onto the floor, so we figured it was time for a bed a little closer to the floor.
    LokisMama

Answer by LokisMama at 9:59 AM on Feb. 22, 2009

• When they climb out of the crib
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 10:10 AM on Feb. 22, 2009

• my oldest was 8 months old when he was able to climb out of his crib. He went into a toddler bed at that time and a "real" bed (twin sized) at 2 y.o. of age.
    I think it really depends on the child. I would say by the age of 2
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 10:30 AM on Feb. 22, 2009

• It honestly depends on the little one, some are ready by their first birthday, some closer to their second. My oldest was in a toddler bed the weekend before she turned one, I was due in 3 months so we set it up to get her used to the idea and she put herself down for a nap in it that day and put herself to bed that night and continued to do so for the next year (it was soooo nice!) My second was 15 months and trying to climb out so toddler bed it was, my third stayed until 20 months we were in no hurry and she wasn't trying to escape and she wouldn't stay in a toddler bed if i tied her down lol, so she stayed until the other two got bunk beds and she was more cooperative :), number 4 is almost 14 months and I don't see her moving out of her crib anytime in the near future.... it would make bedtime hell because she wouldn't stay :) she's a lot like my third!
    L.a.u.r.a.

Answer by L.a.u.r.a. at 10:36 AM on Feb. 22, 2009

• This is 100% NOT age based. It all depends on your child. I've seen several posts from people who moved their child before 18 months and had no problems - initially. But as the toddler independence kicked in, life became a non-stop running bedtime battle and they longed to put the child back in a crib. Others have no problems and the child never disobeys or roams in the night.
    The AAP recommends trying to keep a child in a crib until 3 years old. Doing everything you can to keep them from climbing out.

When you move your child, be prepared for naptime and bedtime to be a battle. Just because a child refuses to sleep doesn't mean they don't need the sleep. Keep an ey on appearance and behavior to make sure she is getting enough. Don't hesitate to move bedtime up so she is falling asleep at the right time. Find ways to make sure she is safe at 2am. Babyproofing items are not enough, most toddlers can defeat them.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:33 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• There is no set age when a child should go into a big kid bed. If your child is happy & comfortable sleeping in a crib why move them? My son is 25 mos. and still in a crib. He has never tried to climb out and loves sleeping in it. He will even tell me "nite-nite" and point to his crib when he is tired. He is my 4th and youngest child and my others were all out of a crib by this age mainly because they were either climbing out or another child came along and we needed the crib. Since he is my last child I am much more attentive of HIS needs and not mine. When he is happy everyone is happy! :)
    buzymomof1234

Answer by buzymomof1234 at 4:16 PM on Feb. 22, 2009