• In the Spotlight:

The other day I had really sore nipples, so all I'd been doing is expressing milk into a bottle so my son could drink, now there's a bump on my nipple and my breast is extremely engorged... should I see a dr about getting the bump looked at or should I just keep expressing?

the bump is where a hole from an old nipple piercing used to be, which healed over over 4 years ago

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:43 AM on Feb. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• GO TO YOUR DOCTOR!!!!!! YOU COULD HAVE AN INFECTION IN YOUR BOOB!!!! NOT TO MENTION MANY OTHER THINGS!!! I WOULD STOP EXPRESSING AND CALL YOUR DOC FIRST THING IN THE MORNING!!!!!
    RIERIE

Answer by RIERIE at 12:49 AM on Feb. 22, 2009

• If there IS an infection...do NOT stop expressing. That could lead to worse problems.

Very likely you have a plugged duct. Can you get baby back on the breast? Best treatment.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:57 AM on Feb. 22, 2009

• oops sorry didnt know not expressing could make it worse...my bad!!
    RIERIE

Answer by RIERIE at 1:01 AM on Feb. 22, 2009

• Warm compress! Massage with out trying to express milk after you express some milk. And definitely see if your LO will latch on. It will hurt for a minute, but it will relieve a lot of pain later.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:32 AM on Feb. 22, 2009

• i still breastfeed my son and since he was 6 months old i've had a white bump on my nipple, someone told me it was a cracked milk duct and it will go away after breastfeeding. my ds is 18 months old now and its still there but i also breastfeed too, it just means that your little one is really chewing down with his gums or teeth.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:06 AM on Feb. 22, 2009