What do you think of risperdol/risperdone & concerta? What should I do?

My son is 8 and in late Oct 2008 was prescribed risperdol for a diagnosis of a mood disorder. In Feb he started on Concerta also. This past school year has been the worst for my son. I dont know what's going on but he says that he wishes he was dead. My son is in Therapy but I dont see where that is really working. I am having issues with his behavior at school to the point where I have had to go pick him up the last times he went & 2 of the times he was suspended. On the last time, things he did/said weren't so great so it was recommended I take him to the hospital. He is in a psych ward at the moment & I am going crazy. He won't see any1 when ppl go 2 visit & he won't stay on the phone when ppl call 2 talk 2 him. I contemplate asking them 2 take him off meds. I contemplate asking 2 have him released since I voluntarily had him placed in the hospital. I'm so lost & don't know what to do.

lalmond67r

Asked by lalmond67r at 1:02 AM on Feb. 22, 2009 in Health

• Where I used to live the was a program at the hospital where they take the child strip him off all his med and observe him for two weeks. They are then able to diagnose him with out any interference from the meds. I don't know if it is everywhere but maybe that would help. I wish you and your family the very best of luck. My son takes resperdol and all it does is make him very tired than he gets very grouchy. He used to take concerta. That was not good at all. As the doc explained it to me my son was a carrier for tourette's syndrome and the concerta brought it out to the surface. So he now has tourette's due to the concerta. Feel free to message me anytime you need to talk!! *hugs*

mndpfff

Answer by mndpfff at 1:14 AM on Feb. 22, 2009